1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scotty and the annoying balloon.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Lilly47, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lilly47

Lilly47 Thread Starter

For the last 3 days my comp has developed an annoying problem that i'm hoping someone can help me resolve.I get a balloon popup from WinpatrolEX.exe with the yellow exclamation mark telling me that the file or directory C/Windows/system32/catroot/F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C048C295EE/TEMPDIR is corrupt or unreadable,please run chkdsk.

Well,i've tried to run chkdsk,i tried from start-run-chkdsk /f...no joy,i tried from my computer,right clicked on local disk C,followed all the command prompts that i've found on this board,rebooted and ....nothing.I've told Scotty to stop monitoring files but still this balloon comes up every 10 minutes!.I tried to defrag but it wouldn't let me as it said chkdsk was scheduled to run but it doesn't and to be honest,its now driving me mad:mad:

I don't want to switch off Scotty as i use him to monitor my startup programmes and cookies etc and until the last 3 days,hes been nothing but a godsend to me but i'm at a loss as to what to do now as chkdsk just won't run when i tell it to.I know it can run as it did so last week when i had a power interruption,i just can't get it to run when i want it to!

I looked in my system and found the tempdir but if i hover over it with the mouse,it says the folder is empty.

can someone please give me any advice as to what to do or where to go so i can stop this balloon from popping up or how to fix the tempdir please...or how to get chkdsk to run on reboot?
    I know its not a spyware or virus problem,all scans are squeaky clean...i've checked everything with every programme thats recommended on these boards.Please help or point me in the direction that i need to take before i lose my mind.:confused:

2. Hawk1

Hawk1

Hi Lilly47,

The following program can stop the balloon popups.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,2803,RSS,RSS,00.asp

If you d/l & install, look for the taskbar in the menu & click on it. Uncheck the box opposite that says "Enable Balloon Tips".

There is another way to check you O/S files by running System File Checker. You MUST have the installation CD as the program will call for it. If you have it & would like to run the program, go to Start/Run & type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc & /).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Hawk

3. Lilly47

Lilly47 Thread Starter

thanks Hawk1,i'll d/l the programme and get rid of this balloon before it drives me crazy.I still can't get this chkdsk to run on reboot,the page comes up but says chkdsk cannot open the volumne on C so i can't defrag either until it runs.

I have my OS CD so i could possibly run scannow but i'd rather use it as a last resort as i'm not that computer savvy.I seem to be stuck in a loop,no chkdsk,no defrag....and no fixed file.Other than this problem,the PC is running just fine,no issues whatsoever except this one corrupt file,i wish i didn't know about it but now that i do,i want it fixed,grrr.

4. Hawk1

Hawk1

Hi again Lilly47,

The following freeware programs may help, if you would like to d/l & run them.

CleanUp! is a disk cleaner much superior to Windows. If you d/l & install, the options are set to "Default". However, click on options & anything you don't want cleaned, uncheck.

http://cleanup.stevengould.org/

Then see if you can run this defragger.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207

Then, try this program.
    http://www.download.com/Advanced-WindowsCare/3000-2086-10407614.html?part=dl-AdvancedW&subj=dl&tag=button
    NOTE: Windows 2K & XP only

Regards,

Hawk

5. Lilly47

Lilly47 Thread Starter

ok,i've d/l'ed them all as i'm going to have to do something as i'm starting to get the dreaded BSOD,its just happened and the pc rebooted,chkdsk tried to run but it was denied access for some reason,i hope my hard drive isn't on the way out.If i have any more trouble,i might try a repair install,or at least get my son to do it and see if that works first.Thanks for trying to help me Hawk.

6. Hawk1

Hawk1

Sorry to hear that Lilly. Maybe if we could stop your computer from rebooting, you could get chkdsk to run. If you wish, you might try the following.

You may be encountering a feature of Windows XP's Startup and Recovery system. By default, this system specifically configures Windows XP to automatically restart itself after encountering a system failure error.

These system failure errors are usually isolated and occur randomly. As such, the best way for the operating system to deal with them is to automatically restart.
    However, you can disable the automatic restart behavior. Follow these steps:

Go to Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup&Recovery(Settings).
    In the System Failure section, deselect the Automatically Restart check box, and click OK.
    To enable the changes, click OK in the System Properties dialog box.
    This change configures the system to halt after encountering a system failure error, which allows you to investigate the problem error in more detail. You will then have to manually restart the system.

Keep in mind that you will have to work fast in order to make the change before the system reboots. You may have better luck making the change if you launch the system in Safe Mode. The following link will show you how to start in safe mode. http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

If you decide to try the above, please make a note of the error & post it in your next reply.

Once your system is back to normal, you can enable the Startup and Recovery system.

Regards,

Hawk

7. Lilly47

Lilly47 Thread Starter

lol,thank you,i've been looking for that all night!I know there was a way to stop the automatic reboot but i couldn't find it.I've changed my settings now by following your instructions so when i suffer the BSOD again,i'll post what error it says,hopefully,you might make sense of whats wrong.Its such a shame as this pc is only 3 months old,custom built and i love it to bits.Its only the last few days that i've had a problem with this catroot file being corrupt and when i got the BSOD,all i did was click on the popup that told me to run chkdsk.
    I've run hijackthis and its fine,all scans are clean but A-squared tells me about the corrupt file as well as Scotty,i may have to go with the scannow thing with the windows CD and see if it'll repair the file....however,i'll wait and see what the message is if and when i get the blue screen again,thanks for helping me once again.

8. Lilly47

Lilly47 Thread Starter

hi again,well,i decided to try something different as i couldn't sleep with the thought of something being wrong with the pc so i did a system restore to january the 1st.I think it might've worked!,chkdsk ran as soon as it resored and it corrected files that it said was damaged so fingers crossed that its going to be ok now,i'll let you know :)

9. Hawk1

Hawk1

Sounds good Lilly.:D

Let us know if you have any further problems.

Regards,

Hawk

10. Lilly47

Lilly47 Thread Starter

hi Hawk,well,it looks good as there doesn't seem to be any more problems at the moment,i've left the pc running and everything appears to be back to normal.I created a new restore point straight after i got back into windows when chkdsk finished so i'm quietly confident.
    One thing is that i'm back with my StyleXP xmas theme but i'm not bothered,i'll change it tomorrow as i don't want to change anything today...don't want to rock the boat!
    Once again,thanks for sticking with me in my 'days of need'

11. Hawk1

Hawk1

You are very welcome Lilly...happy to help.:D

Regards,

Hawk

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice