1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scratched CD

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Breit, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Breit

Breit Thread Starter

I have bought a game (legally!) a long time ago. As I played the game, the CD got scratched, and I'm afraid it will get so scratched it will be unreadable. Is there a LEGAL way i can make a private copy for myself of the game? I tried to copy the game CD using nero, but the game didnt recognize the backup CD.

2. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

for 20-40 dollars you can get a disk Dr it makes the disks like new by buffing away the scratch http://www.digitalinnovations.com/products.php?id=1&checkCat=1&cat2=1&sub2=2 thats a differnt brand but it does the same thing

heres another one http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Innov...s_4/102-0566327-5800163?ie=UTF8&s=electronics I have one IT WORKS GREAT

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since you have to break the copy protection to do this task, it's off-topic here at TSG, please see the TSG Rules.

4. Breit

Breit Thread Starter

But I bought the game, and i just want to have a backup of the game disk. is that illegal?

5. LittleGhoti

LittleGhoti

Yes, it is illegal.

6. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

It's a catch 22, as JW stated breaking copy protection is illegal. It may be legal to back up the game (that depends on what country you are in) but to back it up you have to break the copy protection which is illegal. So ask yourself, is it legal to break the law to accomplish a legal task? I think not :rolleyes:

But the legality is a moot point. The rules of these forums say you can't discuss it and to use these forums we must follow the rules :D

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I know a few games that in their T&Cs they say you can make one archival copy, but at the same time the law says you can't.

8. JohnWill

I'll bet those games are not copy protected. ;)

9. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

just spend $30 and buy a skip DR you can fix 50 disks before replaceing the sanding wheel see the first reply

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I don't know... but I would think LucasArts would have done so :D

11. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed

Car wax will facilitate the laser read of some discs that have hazing; even light scratches. It will also protect against further abrasion, depending on handling, of course.

Scratches was the problem - right?

12. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I live in Canada. Have only bought one game so far. Actually was a package that contained two games. But it stated, in the EULA, that I could create a back-up, which I did using sonic.
    My question is:
    Are there different rules in the USA for games or is it the game itself? I would like to know as I do not want to buy a game I can't back-up.

I have bought Pink Floyd, The Wall, at least a dozen times and refuse to buy more stuff I can't legally back-up yet which producers of the media refuse to put on a media type that will last and I only have to buy once. $500 for one album I don't have anymore. Most of that money went to ensuring I can't copy stuff, not Pink Floyd, so I don't buy it anymore, at least not until I can make a legal back-up.

13. JohnWill

Yes, there are different rules in the US for copying media. It's illegal to bypass copy protection to make "backup" copies, For your reading enjoyment: Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Canada isn't the only place that can pass stupid laws. :D

14. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Thanks JohnWill

15. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Actually since you made a copy and it doesn't work arguing about legality is pointless.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/526072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice