1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Scratching and grinding noise...

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Sharpiedude19, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sharpiedude19

Sharpiedude19 Thread Starter

I've had my MacBook since last Christmas and haven't had a problem. However, that is until tonight. I went to remove a DVD that had been in my computer for a while and heard this "scratching/grinding" sound. It scared the crap out of me. I went and got a dvd thinking, maybe there is nothing in there and tried putting it in but it won't go in. I look at the desktop and see there is no sign of that DVD so... it is literally stuck. How in the world do I get it out?

I don't want to send it into Apple because this DVD is a limited edition and it will be lost if I send it to them obviously... Please, I need some help.

When I close my laptop to let it "sleep" and then reopen it and wake it up, the sound comes back, very irritating... and makes me real nervous.

2. Dave 234

Dave 234

It would seem that the disc is not "centered" properly, to avoid any damage to your laptop I would let a qualified technician open it for you. I had exactly the same trouble with my dvd drive including the grinding noise! and the tech opened it up in 30 seconds and told me to be more careful how I loaded my discs in future! I left the shop happy but very embarassed! I hope you have some luck getting the disc out.

3. namenotfound

namenotfound

I read on the apple forums that some people used a business card or thin cardboard to hold the disc down to get it unstuck. Not sure how well it works though.

4. Sharpiedude19

Sharpiedude19 Thread Starter

Where would I be able to find one? Or would i be forced to go to an Apple Store? The cardboard/card didn't work. The DVD just won't come out so I guess I am left with the technician. Just gotta find him. If you know how to find one, let me know.

5. namenotfound

namenotfound

6. nvr.bck.from.mac

nvr.bck.from.mac

what you can also do if you're really concerned about your disc, is get a pair of tweezers and a piece of latex rubber and add the latex to the tweezers and try and pull the disc out. (while your computer is off obviously...) the very least you could do with this method, if you can't just pull it out, is jiggle it around and see if it'll snap back into place where it's supposed to be.

the latex will protect the disc from getting scratched by the tweezers, and it'll provide extra grip on the cd once you get a hold of it.

i've also heard a skinny ruler and duct tape will work, but i personally would go with the latex.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice