1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen Area Small - 1/4 Of Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lmckivison, May 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lmckivison

lmckivison Thread Starter

I'M RUNNING WINDOWS 98 WITH AN ATI VIDEO CARD. I HAVE A 21" MONITOR. WE HAD A POWER SURGE THE OTHER DAY THAT BLEW OUT MY APC/BACKUP, BUT DIDN'T SEEM TO HURT ANYTHING ELSE. SINCE THEN MOST OF MY GAMES RUN IN A SMALL SCREEN WITH ABOUT 2-3" OF BLACK AROUND IT. I CAN'T SEEM TO MAXIMIZE IT. I REINSTALLED WINDOWS, I'VE CHANGED SCREEN SIZE, TRYED CHANGING REFRESH RATE, AND NOTHING HELPED. ALL MICROSOFT PRODUCTS RUN JUST FINE. PLEASE HELP!

THANKS
    LMCKIVISON

2. Rikku

Rikku

Have you tried your monitor's on-screen controls? They let you set screen position and size.

If so, I would say the power surge affected something else besides your UPS.

3. lmckivison

I'M GOING TO TRY THAT TONIGHT..............I WAS AFRAID YOU WERE GOING TO SAY THAT. DO YOU THINK IT'S THE MONITOR OR VIDEO?

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi lmckivison

Its hard to say but if I was betting I would bet on the monitor being bad. I would try a different monitor on your system (or take your monitor to a different system) to see which is bad.

5. lmckivison

I'll try that also. Thanks for all the help. It's just weird that some programs work and some don't. I'll let you know what I find out after trying your suggestions.

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Just reread your post.

Is it only games that are Bad? It still may be hardware but I would also try removing your video cards drivers in safe mode and reloading them off from a cd or web site. Possibly DirectX may need reloading also. BOL

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/78851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice