1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen backlight

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ollie90680, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ollie90680

ollie90680 Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavilon ze5570us laptop which when AC power is removed dims the backlight on the screen. This is normal I know but I need to keep the backlight intensity at high because it is necessary for my eyesight. I cannot figure out how to change the intensity. I have tried the power settings but this does not seem to make any difference. Does anyone know what I can do?

2. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed

If you've tried all 6 of the [XP] power schemes, maybe the battery even when fully charged just doesn't supply the same amperage as the AC adapter...

How old is the laptop?

3. ollie90680

Yes, I have tried the other power profiles and have not found any that provide for full screen intensity with AC power off.
    The computer is 2 years old. The battery was just replaced a week ago. The battery doesn't have any problem supplying the necessary current required by the laptop for all systems at full power. Batteries are rated in AH's (Amps multiplied by Hours) and based upon a specified period of time; typically this is a 20 Hour rate for a battery of this type. If you are familiar with battery curves you know that it is not a linear function but instead more expodential. Battery backup time is severly compromised by large current drain and therefore they use the step CPU and lower intensity to reduce power and increase backup time. I don't care about the time as intensity is more critical to me. I have difficulty seeing the display. I need that backlight.
    Thanks for responding and offering your advice.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Fn+F1 decreases brightness
    Fn+F2 increases brightness

Have you tried these?

5. ollie90680

Alex,
    Thank you. That is the answer that I needed. It does indeed change the intensity of the LCD screen even when on battery power.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/553130

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice