1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen blank on PB G4

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Chewits, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewits

Chewits Thread Starter

I have a Powerbook G4 1.5 12" with 1.25 GB ram.

It is around 2 years and 10 months old. I use it everyday for various things from music production to surfing the net and playing some games.

Problem started when I had Warcraft 3 in a window and was doing other things on the internet. Computer completely froze, and the grey screen with all the languages stating that computer has to restart etc. So I restarted, and it loaded up. I loaded up Warcraft 3 again, and after a second it froze again. It stuttered in a 1sec loop. So i forced shut it down by holding shut down button for 5 seconds. Then i turned it on, and now there is nothing on the screen. it is completely blank. So worried, I unplugged everything and just ran it on the powerbook with the power plugged in ( I was using an external monitor via DVI slot) But still the screen on the laptop was not even coming on.

I can hear the start up sound of the mac, and can hear the hard drive spinning away. I left it for a while, but still same problem.

So I tried placing the mac cd in to boot from CD, but only problem is, my internal CD drive has been broken for ages, and I just use an external firewire drive. So I am not sure how to boot from external drive. DO you still just hold down the C button? Anyway, I tired that, and still screen is blank.

So i plugged my mac to another mac using firewire cable and use my mac as an external drive. This worked, and everything on my hard drive seems to be intact.

So I am thinking the video card has gone? I tried searching online for spare parts for my mac, but I can't seem to find a part specifically for the video card? Is the video card embedded on the logic board? Or is it separate?

Much help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice