1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen Capture Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rjf_techgirl, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rjf_techgirl

rjf_techgirl Thread Starter

I am doing documentation for my Help Desk at work, and it would be helpful to be able to do some screen captures.

I know that Ctrl+Print Screen will capture the whole screen and that Alt+Print Screen will capture the active most forward window. Here is my problem:

Many of the screens I wish to capture involve right clicking or displaying a menu-item. It is very, very difficult to do Ctrl+Print Screen or Alt+Print Screen while holding and clicking with a mouse (my Print Screen key on this keyboard is way over above my numeric pad and I have small hands). Does anyone know of any shortcuts or ways to do this that don't involve me needing three hands?

(Please don't recommend freeware or shareware programs for me to use. Such things are not permissible on the company PCs and require approval for download and installation. While I can get such approval, I'd rather not have to jump through those hoops if it isn't 100% necessary. Also, being a small business, most of the freeware/shareware licenses require commercial purchase for commercial use anyway.)

2. Sponsor

3. welshY

welshY

4. welshY

welshY

oops didn't read it all sorry
    missed the company bit

5. valis

valis Moderator

when you right click, doesn't it stay displayed after you let go of the mouse?

6. Augie65

Augie65

As valis said, right click and when your context menu is displayed, click Prnt Scrn and
    it will capture it. Don't use Alt+Prnt Scrn.

7. rjf_techgirl

That works fine for right-clicking, but I also need to capture menus. In some programs, (for reasons that elude me), if I release the mouse button the menu goes away.

Also, if I'm in a menu (for example, in Lotus Notes, and Go File > Database > ) and try to click Alt+Print Screen the menu disappears and the screen captured does not have the menu. If I do Print Screen alone, I end up with my entire desktop (complete with taskbar, etc).

Truthfully, I'm being lazy and don't wish to change my settings to hide the task bar, and don't like having my Windows full-screen, so I was looking for a fast work around. If there isn't one, I'll just deal with Print Screen.

8. valis

valis Moderator

I personally don't know of one, but I also have never looked for one....gimme a few.

9. valis

valis Moderator

10. sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr Banned

You could use just Print Screen to capture the screen, and the use the onboard XP program Paint to crop out only what you want to keep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. rjf_techgirl

I know that.

Again, I was being lazy and trying to find a short cut. I've been doing the edit with Paint for days now and am getting a bit tired of it :(

Thanks for the suggestions though.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/520406