1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen capture with OCR

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by davnon, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davnon

davnon Thread Starter

Hi,
    Does anyone know of a reliable freeware to capture text off the screen?
    I transferred PrtScn image to Acrobat 7 pro and tried to do OCR on the image (Document->Recognize text using OCR), but it tells me it cannot be done since it needs a minimum resolution of 144 dpi.
    Thanks,
    -DA

2. stantley

stantley

The only freeware OCR that I know of is SimpleOCR, but you get what you pay for, it's not very good. One that is fairly cheap ($30) and much better is On Screen OCR. You can download a 21 day free trial if you want to try it out. One that is very good but costs $50 is ABBYY ScanTo Office. The prices go up from there.

3. davnon

davnon Thread Starter

Thanks Stantley. I tried SimpleOCR and you are absolutely right about it. It is very poor and quite useless for my purpose. I did find a couple of other programs through www.snapfiles.com: WinCapture ($29) and Kleptomania ($30). Both have free trials, but I wonder if anyone has tried them and they are safe to download (My computer was recently infested with malware and had to work hard to get rid of it, so I am a bit paranoid). In general, does anyone know if snapfiles is any good reference? (they have their own rating system).

I was pretty sure there was another reply to this tread by blacklotus suggesting looking at http://pcsoftware.amidal.com. I did not find there anything relevant and suspected it is just a promotion for commercial purposes. That reply does not appear on this thread -- was in intentionally removed?

4. stantley

stantley

Snapfiles is a very good, safe site to download from, it fact it's one of my favorite places to find software. I haven't used the ones you mentioned, but I would definitely trust Snapfile's ratings.
    You suspected right.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice