1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

screen color

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Nina Marie, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nina Marie

Nina Marie Thread Starter

After reformatting my hard drive (for the second time), the colors on my screen are only 16 bit (my other choice was 2). This happens whether I use the Restoration disk or the Windows disk to reinstall. The first time this happened my computer was under warranty and I tech support helped me. But it well beyond it's warranty period and I can't remember how I increased it to 24 bit. Could you please help? I did a search and saw one post with a similar problem, but the suggestion was to use the Restoration disk to reinstall. That won't help because I had the same problem with that disk.

2. $teve

$teve

welcome to tsg nina marie.
    if you right click your desktop,scroll down to "properties"...then "settings".....you should be able to change the video settings here.......if not,check that your graphics cards driver is installed and not the basic windows driver......to do this click on control panel/system/device manager/display adapter,scheck that the correct card has been installed,if not you will have to find the driver disk for your card and re-install it.
    post back here with your findings and your operating system and specs, someone will talk you through it im sure.
    good luck.

3. Nina Marie

Steve thanks for the quick reply. The first thing I check was the screen properties, that's how I know I have only two choices, 2 bit color or 16 bit. I went to the control panel as you suggested and checked the display adapter, "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter" When I had to reset this the last time, I vaguely remember changing something called "Technicolor", I think it was through Explorer. I can't remember how I got there.
    This computer has a 533 Celeron, 10 GB HD, 64 mb ram, Win 98 2nd. I'm not that good with computers to know what other info you might need to help, but if you let me know I'm sure I can find out.

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

sounds like your vieo adapter may not have reloaded

if you haven't already, try:

on a blank spot on the dektop (this is a shortcut to control panel, display)
    right click
    properties
    settings
    advanced
    adapter

what's there? the 'standard pci adapter' you mentioned?

click on change

let the wizard take you through
    next
    next (search for ...)
    check off
    - cd rom (put win98 cd in)
    - ms windows update (need to be connected to internet for this)
    - specify a location (if you have your vid card floppy handy)
    [don't check the ones you don't have, ie: cd, floppy, intenet conn]
    next etc

hopefully the wizard will find a better driver, depending how generic you adapter is

this happens to me everytime i reformat/reinstall

5. Nina Marie

Thanks jb, I tried everything you suggested and it told me the best driver was installed (low standards I guess). Any other suggestions?

6. brianF

brianF

Your going to have to find out which video card is in your machine. Do you have the manuals, installation cd's, anything.
    Other than that you can open up the computer and find the make and model on the card itself.

Or you can try and download sisoftsandra, it make show which video card is in your machine.
    You can download the std verson here
    http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/

7. Nina Marie

Thanks Brian, I found among my CDs on with different drivers on it. It had two for Graphics, SIS620 and Intel810. I can't say for sure which one I have but I did load the Intel810 into my computer and it's working much better. While I now can go into sttings and choose between 16,256, High color(16) and True Color (24), the colors seem to be a little off. Although, I won't rule out that I may be the one that's a little off after spending hours trying to figure this all out.
    If I do have the SIS610 video card and not the Intel810, would it still work? Or can I assume that I have the Intel810 since it's working? And what would happen at this point if I downloaded the other driver?
    Should I have put the Driver CD into the drive and let wizard handle it? (is it too late for that?)

8. jbcalg

jbcalg

[edit: just looked
    - the intel810 and sis are both chipsets, not video card drivers
    - do the : right click, properties on 'my computer', see if the chipset is id'd on the main page]

but first
    did you look in :
    right click 'my computer' on your desktop
    properties
    device manager
    display adapter

to see if it identifies what it is

once the display adapter is highlighted
    click properties

and you can see what's there
    and change the adapter driver from there too if need be

9. brianF

brianF

If the driver installed and is working then you choose the right one. Installing a sis driver instead of an intel 810 driver isn't going to work at all. Probably crash the machine.

10. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

You said you used the restore disk. What make and model is your computer and have you changed the video card since you bought it?

11. Nina Marie

It wasn't the actual restore disk that I got the driver from. I purchased this computer off one of the cable shows, so it's basically a no name brand. My son crashed it one time while it was still under warranty and they sent me a restoration disk. After restoring the hard drive I learned that not all the drivers I needed were on the restoration disk, so they just sent me a disk with all the drivers for all the components they were using at the time. So, I have more drivers then I need.
    I'm not proficient with the computer, so I don't always understand when a driver is installed and NOT the problem or when it isn't installed and that IS the problem. Although, with all the problems I've been having between this one and mine, I'm beginning to understand.
    That' why I was asking about whether or not I could still try installing the second driver even though there is one in here that seems to be doing a good job. It's just the colors don't seem quite as rich as they did before.

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice