1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

screen cracking - AMD 7870

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by testsample, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. testsample

testsample Thread Starter

specs:
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
    Intel Core i5-3570K, stock clock speed and stock heatsink.
    XFX AMD 7870, also stock.
    RAM is Intel Patriot 8GB (2*4)
    motherboard is AsRock Z77 Fatal1ty Performance.

TL;DR: computer showing strange shapes and cracked lines across the monitor. like this : http://i.imgur.com/bZOoNnH.jpg

so in the last couple of weeks, I noticed that when I'm playing Planetside 2, sometimes the texture quality will drop and then go back to normal instantly, but I thought it might just be Planetside 2 being all planetside on me.
    but today, I was playing World of Tanks, and in the middle of the game, my computer freezed, and the monitor started showing strange "shapes" in green, so I shut down my PC with the power button and waited for about half an hour and then turned it on again.
    now my pc went through the startup procedure normally, everything looking normal, until the welcome screen came up (The one where you choose your user account), and it looked like it was cracked in multiple places horizontally across the monitor, I left it like that for about 10 seconds and then I got the BSOD.
    I can run my computer normally in safe mode with network, which made me think the problem might be in the driver. so I booted my PC normally using the onboard graphics port, downloaded the latest amd driver from the website, but that didn't fix anything.
    I can't get past the windows welcome screen without the computer freezing, so I can't check the temperature of the card.

I tried reinstalling the drivers but that didn't fix it, also I deleted the driver from device manager and installed it again, and that also didn't help.

should I buy a new graphics card?

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Hate to say it but it looks like your graphic card has gone rogue on you. One of my users had the same thing happen to her, luckily I had a spare. If you have a spare card, swap it in real quick or if not, boot the machine from a live Ubuntu CD, if the artifacts are still there, it is your hardware.

3. testsample

I don't have a spare, but I will try the live ubuntu cd, seems like a better idea than installing windows on a separate hard disk and swap it in.

before I buy a new card, are we sure that nothing else is causing it like RAM? what if I changed the thermal paste?

4. testsample

btw is it possible to use a live ubuntu usb instead of CD, if yes, do you have a link to a tutorial?

thanks alot

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

What is the exact make, model and approximate age of the power supply in the machine?

The fact that the artifacts don't occur during the BIOS and intial boot screens but start as soon as you get to the Windows logon would possibly indicate a heat, power or software problem to me (however that doesn't mean it isn't a hardware failure either).

6. testsample

my PSU's brand is called "HuntKey", it's been running like clock work for 2 years, 600W.

also the artifacts don't appear if I boot normally (not safe mode) via the on-board graphics port.

and I deleted the drivers and reinstalled them a couple of times but it didn't help, so it's definitely not the drivers. I still have to try the live ubuntu method.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  8. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice