1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen Definition Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mjed0, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mjed0

mjed0 Thread Starter

Screen Definition Problem with Toshiba Satellite 4600 Laptop

I am wondering if someone can give me advice regarding my toshiba satellite 4600 laptop. I am running XP service pack 2 and the machine is around 6 years old, has a 733mhz celeron processor, 256mb ram and 30gig HD.

The problem is that it doesn't seem to want to change screen definition (which is necessary for a lot of games). In the display properties settings there is choice of either 800x600 or 1024x768, however it defaults to 1024x768, and if you change it to 800x600 all that happens is that the desktop gets smaller within the monitor's screen leaving a black border around the unused part of the screen (it's like when you resize a photo, the photo gets smaller) - the icons stay tiny, so really it's still 1024x768 but just a smaller version.

When playing the pinball game that comes with windows XP, the game is really small in the middle of the monitor screen, but when I click "fullsize" the game remains the same size, but the border around it gets bigger. On my other computer, the game gets bigger when you click "fullsize" because it changes screen definition. For the most part, my laptop is unable to change its screen definition, though I think it might be changing definition for the game Frogger.

I have reinstalled windows XP and added the service pack 2 but the problem still persists.

I ran Belarc Adviser to find out what exactly my hardware is and it states under display:

---Trident Video Accelerator CyberBlade-XP (Toshiba) Display Adapter
    ---Default Monitor
    ---Generic Television (Monitor)
    ---Toshiba 8 Panel (Monitor) (143"vis)

I checked the Device Manager in System Properties and it lists the display driver as:
    Trident Video Accelerator CyberBlade XP (Toshiba)
    There are no apparent errors with the driver, and when I tried to update the driver it said it couldn't find a better match than the software I currently have installed.

I thought the laptop had 3D graphics yet it can't handle even fairly basic graphics in games. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

The solution is between the display adapter or the driver. Since it can not find a newer driver I would suggest re-installing the latest driver it might have a problem.

One thing I would try is going to Toshiba's web site and check their tech support area go thru the FAQ's and anything about the video resolution and see if there is anything they suggest to remedy the situation.

If the video card can be changed you might want to try another video card.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Some laptops will not "stretch" or scale the resolution like desktops LCD's will.

Check the BIOS for any such option though.

4. mjed0

mjed0 Thread Starter

Cheers Ozrom1e and kiwiguy for taking the time to reply to my posting. Thank you ever so much kiwiguy. You hit the nail on the head. There was a setting in the BIOS, I changed it, and it's now just fine running the games and will do either size screen definition. I really appreciate your time.

Thanks again,
    Dan

5. bangrak101

bangrak101

mjed0,
    I'm having the exact same problem with Pinball on my laptop. Can you post some details on how you fixed it or PM them to me?

thanx,

chuck

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!