Screen Failure & Startup power failure. After 30 seconds laptop powers off

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

guy1965

Hello All Computer hardware wizards,
My Dell Notebook a Vostro 1500, 1.6Ghz 4G Ram, 250GB Hardrive and OS: Vista Home Edition, suddenly acted up yesterday.
1) At first my screen displayed random horizontal color lines (sort of blinking randomly). When that did not change after a few minutes, I 'hard' powered off the Laptop.
2) When I pushed power on, it dispalyed the LED's for Num Lock, Cap Lock and Scroll Lock. The Cap Lock LED was blinking and the Num Lock, Scroll LocK LED's remained continously on. SCREEN was completely black.....no display!
3) After about 30 seconds all 3 LED's shut off and computer went dead.

I repeated this several times. Took battery off, tried unplugging from 110V power etc. Still does the same as described in paragraph 3.

PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP!

Tanis

Shane
That doesn't sound too healthy!

How old is the laptop? If it is under warranty I would get it checked that way.

My initial thought, although not a certainty, would be a problem with the graphics card itself from your description.

I agree, sounds like a graphics card problem. Speak to Dell as they will be able to at least diagnose the problem without charging a fee.

It's likely that it's buggered though, to be honest, and when one thing fails it's usually a sign of things to come.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online