Screen / Fans turning off

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bluemonkey519

Hi all,
Having a little problem here. I have a 7 year old Compaq Presario Desktop. 3 times now (Thurs night, Fri night, Sat morning) while it's being used the screen goes black, and the fans shut off inside the tower. But the green power light stays on. I turned off the PC last night to let it cool down but this AM the same thing happened again.

Is this problem due to the computer over heating? I just cleaned the whole thing up 2 months ago for the first time in a long time, but maybe something got in there causing the fan not to spin correctly.

Could be heat issue ot PC powerSupply issue

Try this and post the results

Download and install hwmonitor
and see what the temps etc are

bluemonkey519

The computer after running idle for about an hour is running at 44º C 111º F

Also all 3 times this happened we were just online (playing a game, checking email, etc) so it's not like anything was running that required the computer to use a lot of it's resources.

Is that the CPU temp.....Core....does it mention GPU temps?

Try running a game and try and tax the PC and then check the temps again.

bluemonkey519

It only has 1 temperature listed
MAXTOR hard drive
Assembly >

I just played a Pogo game for a few minutes, and then tried a full screen family feud game for a few minutes and the entire time the temp bounced between 103º and 111º

Now I do have the cabinet door open a little, should I close it and see if the temp goes up? There is a vent in the back for the heat to escape. It has been in the same place though for many years without issue so don't know why that would be an issue now.

bluemonkey519

Temps are in Fahrenheit

Here are some specs--

Brand Name Compaq
Product Name Presario 6000 Desktop Computer
Computer Type Desktop PC
Key Features Processor Intel Pentium 4 2 GHz
Installed Memory 256 MB (DDR SDRAM)
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Processor Processor Type Intel Pentium 4
Processor Speed 2 GHz
Processor Manufacturer Intel
Processor Upgradability Upgradable
Max Processors Qty. 1
Motherboard Bus Speed 400 MHz
Video Output Interface AGP
Memory RAM Technology DDR SDRAM
Installed RAM 256 MB (I upgraded to 1.25GB)
Max Supported RAM 2 GB
Installed Cache Memory 512 KB
Installed Video Memory 64 MB

Try this monitor might get see more
SpeedFan

Given the age could be the thermal paste on the heatsink and CPU has dried out and needs replacing....if it is a heat issue....or maybe the PC power supply.

You could take the side off and blow a household fan on full at it and see the results

bluemonkey519

Here is what this is showing:

Even after having the door closed for a while the temp didn't go up at all, it just stayed around 105F

bluemonkey519

Fan 1 is running at 0RPM it says, does that mean there is a broken fan? or is there no fan really there?

I will take the thing a part and clean the inside up, i'll be back and let you know if the results are any better.

bluemonkey519

I think it may just be time to put this computer to rest.
I took a paper, touched the fan with it and it kicked right on. I took the case off and cleaned the whole inside, so there is no dust now. I left the PC off for close to an hour and just now turned it on, and it's at 110ºC -- and that fan is running perfectly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts