1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen flickers when unplug second monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adanedhel728, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adanedhel728

adanedhel728 Thread Starter

I'm using a Dell laptop with an AMD Turion64x2 and an ATI Radeon Xpress graphics card. I've been using a second monitor since I got it, and I haven't had any problems with it until recently. I've had to reinstall Vista thanks to an unsuccessful bout with Linux (will try Linux again later). Now I'm having a problem (and I suspect it's my graphics card, but I could be wrong about that) with my monitors. When I'm at home using my second monitor, it's fine, but when I unplug the monitor the screen flickers and won't stop. I used to have no problem unplugging it without restarting or anything, which is good when I take it to school and put it in hibernate. This isn't the first time I've reinstalled Vista, but it's the first time it's started doing this. I'm kind of worried that this might be a symptom of a deeper problem, too. The ATI page just brings me to the AMD page, and the AMD page doesn't have any updated drivers for it.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

2. adanedhel728

Oh, I forgot to mention, I already tried updating Vista.

3. adanedhel728

I think I'm going to have to bump this...

4. cmw2010

cmw2010

I would lean towards your having damaged your video card or something or monitors. I would never unplug a monitor without shutting down the computer first.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice