1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen freeze... mouse and Control Alt Delete Still work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bplantman, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bplantman

bplantman Thread Starter

Through out the day, I have my computer on. Many times... whether I am using the computer at that moment, or if I leave and come back later... my screen will be frozen. The mouse moves, but nothing on the screen can be clicked. Also, control alt delete works as well, so I have found that if I go into the applications tab and open a new task and open/refresh "explorer" everything will start working again. So there is a work around, but it gets a little frustrating. Any ideas about why this would be happening?

I have recently built my computer... Windows XP... this has been hapening for about 1 1/2 weeks now. Thanks!

2. physician

physician

welcome to the forums

Maybe its just hanging up because you leave it sitting so long. Have you thought about letting it go standby when it sits for say ten minutes? Then when you come back and touch the mouse, it picks up right where you left off. To do that, right click anywhere clear on your desktop and select properties, select screensaver,then select power settings, then you can set it to turn off monitor after five or ten minutes, my hard drives are set for never turn off and system you can set for whatever you want, I am set for standby after 15 minutes...doc
    (y)

3. bplantman

bplantman Thread Starter

The standby deal doesn't work... my computer will begin to lock up 10 minutes when I reboot after having shut down for the night.

I'm not sure what it is though. I know that its not becasue I leave the computer running for too long. I was thinking it possibly had to do with the system settings or the video card itself. Any suggestions?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/305314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice