1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen freeze - overheat ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kouye, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kouye

kouye Thread Starter

Hi all,
    A Toshiba Satellite laptop, running XP Home SP2, is giving me a hard time. The machine boots and then freezes during the initial phase of the Windows startup. The screen appears frozen, with the Windows logo and the progress bar (frozen also). Both HD and fan stop running. Yet the laptop still outputs heat and the fan starts up every other minute for a few seconds.
    The owner of the laptop informed me this problem occured on occasions and then occured more regularly and now every time the PC boots up.
    I extracted the HD and mounted it as an external USB drive on another machine with no problem. The content of the disk can be accessed OK. I ran a virus check that revealed 30+ viruses and adware. After removing them and double checking, I put the disk back into the laptop but the problem remains.
    I tried repairing Windows using the XP install CD. The files are copied to the HD OK, but when I reboot to finalise the installation, the PC freezes after a few minutes.
    I even tried to boot from a Linux live CD. This worked OK once. Then the laptop froze when I did it once again.
    So :
    Screen freeze when booting Windows
    Screen freeze when reinstalling Windows
    Screen freeze when booting Linux
    The heat generated through the air vents seems excessive (even after a freeze)

Any idea what may be the cause of all this ? From where I stand, it seems like a hardware problem. But I definitely need some advice.
    Thanks in advance,
    Edw.

2. dashdanw

dashdanw

Im not THAt much of a buff but might it be a power source issue? it sounds like the fan failure would be either that or a mobo prob, i couldnt think of anything else.

3. sickcars

sickcars

Something you can try is leave the laptop turned off for an hour or 2 to make sure its totally cooled off. If you can point a fan at the laptop or something to give it extra cooling and see if it will boot up. If it does then there is a good chance that it could be related to heat.

Also check in the bios to see if there are temperature readings in there so you can check if its to high or if its normal.

Ciao

4. kouye

kouye Thread Starter

Hi,
    When left turned off long enough to cool off, the laptop boots up OK, but freezes after a few minutes. There are no accessible temperature readings in the bios.
    If it is indeed heat related, is there anything that can be done about it ?
    Edward

5. sickcars

sickcars

Well you would have to see why its overheating. Did the Cpu fan die? Maybe GPU fan die (if it has one)

Maybe the fan is just really dirty (some compressed air can help that)

There are those laptop coolers you can buy, that would help but I dont know if it would stop it from turning off.

Ciao

6. kouye

kouye Thread Starter

OK, Thanks :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice