1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen freeze.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deano, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deano

Deano Thread Starter

Last year a local shop upgraded my computer with a new PC266 Socket A M810 motherboard, as this came with on board graphics & sound, my old cards were discarded. Unfortunatly MS Combat F/S & Colin McRae Rally 2 did not work so I decided to upgrade to an nVidia Geforce4 MX440SE card with 64 mb. As the shop has conveniently gone out of business I tried to install it myself, have run into problems, first I had dificulty removing the onboard grahics but did eventualy get it working, now the following problems have defeated me.
    1/ the system siezes up, at first after only a few minutes but I have carried out a system maintenance & stopped the scree saver & now it can be anything from 5 nins to an hour + before it freezes.
    2/ FS Combat 2 runs but usualy freezes after about 10 - 20 min & C/M Rally 2 only gets as far as the opening screens. My ither F/S games usual run O/K.
    3/ After the Desktop apears, tries to access the Floppy drive for about 30 seconds, so I have to leave a formatted disc in to stop it.
    4/ The printer, an HP 940c, seems to take a lot longer to start printing now.
    I have looked at other items on the site & tried some solutions but none seem to have any effect, also msinfo does not show any problem.
    The board has an AMD 1.2 chip with 256 mb memory (one stick), the card has 64 mb & there is a Plextor CDRW, also there are both SSCI & IDE hard drives.

Deano.

2. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Hi Deano,

You say you had problems trying to remove the onboard graphics??? Remove in what way?
    From what you describe it sounds like the system is very busy in the background all the time. Have you tried running in safe mode for a while? Safe mode only runs system drivers (very basic) and would therefore rule out a driver problem for you should the system remain stable. However I'm going to take a stab at incorrect graphics driver problem for you. Get the latest from nvidia.com for your graphics chipset.

3. Deano

Deano Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Regarding the onboard graphics, There was no info in the manual that came with the board & after checking for jumpers or swithches on the motherboard, I worked my way through the BIOS, here I eventualy found a way of activating the AGP connector but I am still not sure if the onboard graphics are completly disconected. If I run in safe mode can I still run the games that seem to cause the main problem?
    By the way I forgot to say I am running Windows ME.

Deano.

4. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

I wouldn't worry about the onboard graphics at all - it won't cause the problem you have. As I said if all is hunky doory in safe mode then we really have to look at the driver of one of the components in your system (hopefully the graphics). Have you been to Nvidia? And check the mobo manufacturer site for updates on your onboard sound.

5. Deano

Deano Thread Starter

:( Hi Usualsuspect, I've done as I was told & downloaded the uptodate driver for the graphics card but still have the same problem! I found an old copy of SiSSandra wich tells me that 1/ VGA pallet snoopng is wrong 2/ PCI latency is to high 3/ MCI device not loaded 4/ Game compatable device wave out 1, Voice modem wave #00 line (wave out 1 & 2), Game compatable device (wave in 1) the resources are already allocated. 5/ IPX connection for direct play function unavailable. MMSYSTEM288 device not loaded.

Please what do they all mean & how do I correct them?????????

Deano.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice