Solved Screen freezes every few seconds after graphic card update

pale13

When I update the graphics card drivers my screen freezes every few seconds. I've tried all sorts of ways to make it right, but nothing worked. I even tried to get windows back to factory setups. The interesting thing is that everything works on safe mode. The problem is, without an update, I can't turn on the game I want, for example. It would mean a lot to me to help some expert who's already encountered this problem. Other than I'm a person who knows a lot about computers but I don't know what to do about this. Thank you.

hp pavilion 15 a4-5000 apu with hd 8330

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the exact serial number(S/N) and product number(P/N) on that "HP Pavilion 15"?
What's the exact Windows version and bit number it's running?

I'm guessing that HP is about 8 years old.

-------------------------------------------------

pale13

What's the exact serial number(S/N) and product number(P/N) on that "HP Pavilion 15"?
What's the exact Windows version and bit number it's running?

I'm guessing that HP is about 8 years old.

-------------------------------------------------
Its HP pavilion 15-n051sm, im not sure about serial number i dont know where to find it. Windows version:20H2 64 bit. Yes it's an older laptop, I got it from my uncle last year and then it worked great. I play Leauge of legends and one day my laptop started having screene frezzes every few seconds I tried everything the only thing that works is to delete the drivers but then I can't get into the game.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You appear to have a HP Pavilion 15-n051sm Notebook PC (F4C10EA) which appears to have originally come with the FreeDOS operating system.
Its support site has Windows 10 64-bit device drivers which are mostly dated in 2015 - 2016, so it is several years old.

Please do the following in that laptop so we have more information about its operating system and hardware:
Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your laptop will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

--------------------------------------------------

pale13

You appear to have a HP Pavilion 15-n051sm Notebook PC (F4C10EA) which appears to have originally come with the FreeDOS operating system.
Its support site has Windows 10 64-bit device drivers which are mostly dated in 2015 - 2016, so it is several years old.

Please do the following in that laptop so we have more information about its operating system and hardware:
Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your laptop will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210916195204.000000+060
Processor: AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 0 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 6 GB
Graphics Card: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Hard Drives: C: 198 GB (180 GB Free); D: 498 GB (476 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 216F, ver 31.22, s/n PDVVD008J5Q25V
System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 1, s/n 5CD34772Y2
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210916195204.000000+060
Processor: AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 0 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 6 GB
Graphics Card: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Hard Drives: C: 198 GB (180 GB Free); D: 498 GB (476 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 216F, ver 31.22, s/n PDVVD008J5Q25V
System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 1, s/n 5CD34772Y2
According to the listed serial number in your log, you have THIS HP Pavilion 15-n051sm Notebook PC.

According to its support site, it was originally purchased on November 28, 2013 and came with the FreeDOS operating system.

According to the listed operating system in your log, Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 Build 19042 64-bit was installed on September 16, 2021.

According to the listed graphics device in your log, no driver has been installed for it, so it's running in basic VGA mode.

The processor and graphics device in it are too weak for gaming.

pale13

According to the listed serial number in your log, you have THIS HP Pavilion 15-n051sm Notebook PC.

According to its support site, it was originally purchased on November 28, 2013 and came with the FreeDOS operating system.

According to the listed operating system in your log, Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 Build 19042 64-bit was installed on September 16, 2021.

According to the listed graphics device in your log, no driver has been installed for it, so it's running in basic VGA mode.

that it does not currently have drivers because I uninstalled them so that I could use the laptop normally. Yes it's not for gaming but Leauge of Legends I could play at a decent 40-50 fps

pale13

Greeting.I still haven't solved my problem. Then might you know what it's about?

Is this the driver you tried from HP?
AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver - Kabini
21.19.137.514 Rev.B 410.2 MB Dec 20, 2016

AMD has this Radeon Software driver. However, they recommend you stick with the driver from your OEM HP.
Adrenalin 21.5.2 (WHQL) 461 MB 6/21/2021

I have an Acer laptop with an AMD CPU with integrated graphics. For the first year I stuck with the OEM graphics driver from Acer. Like most OEMs they rarely update these drivers. About a year ago I switched to the much newer Radeon Software driver from AMD.

I can't tell you whether to stick with the graphics driver from HP or try the much newer driver from AMD. That is your choice to make.

Your graphics are provided by way of on die as in incorporated into the CPU, not the best for gaming I`m afraid.

What is the game that you are wanting to play.

What drivers are you trying to install, post a link to them if you can.

How much RAM is in the computer.

blues_harp28

pale13 - I have merged your two threads together. Please do not start two threads on the same subject. Thank you.

pale13

When I update the graphics card drivers my screen freezes every few seconds. I've tried all sorts of ways to make it right, but nothing worked. I even tried to get windows back to factory setups. The interesting thing is that everything works on safe mode. The problem is, without an update, I can't turn on the game I want, for example. It would mean a lot to me to help some expert who's already encountered this problem. Other than I'm a person who knows a lot about computers but I don't know what to do about this. Thank you.

I don't think a lot of people here have figured out what the problem is. My laptop worked perfectly until a couple of months ago, since I downloaded the new drivers my screen freezes every few seconds. When I delete the drivers my laptop works perfectly but then I can't get into the game. Yes, a lot of you have said that my laptop is not for gaming and I am aware of that, but the problem is not in that. i play leauge of legends and it works great but without updated drivers i can't enter the game.
I only get answers to download some driver versions and nothing has helped yet

pale13

Is this the driver you tried from HP?
AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver - Kabini
21.19.137.514 Rev.B 410.2 MB Dec 20, 2016

AMD has this Radeon Software driver. However, they recommend you stick with the driver from your OEM HP.
Adrenalin 21.5.2 (WHQL) 461 MB 6/21/2021

I have an Acer laptop with an AMD CPU with integrated graphics. For the first year I stuck with the OEM graphics driver from Acer. Like most OEMs they rarely update these drivers. About a year ago I switched to the much newer Radeon Software driver from AMD.

I can't tell you whether to stick with the graphics driver from HP or try the much newer driver from AMD. That is your choice to make.
The problem is that any driver that I install causes my laptop to have screen fees every few seconds. The laptop works normally only when I uninstall the drivers and stay on let's say factory or as it would already be called

crjdriver

The interesting thing is that everything works on safe mode
This is not strange at all. In safe mode, the video is using very little pw. When you install the video driver, more pw is required and the video chip works harder.
This points at a hardware problem/failure; ie overheating, pw problem, or a video problem.

crjdriver

I just checked the specs on that laptop. You have hybrid video [which can be problematic at best] First of all, with hybrid video, you get the drivers only from the mfg.
While you may have a hardware problem, you can try the following. It will cost nothing and might even fix the problem.
1 Go to the support page for your laptop. Download the following; AMD video driver, and the onchip video driver. Both are amd so it can be somewhat confusing.
2 Uninstall ALL video drivers
3 Install the onchip video driver. Reboot when prompted. If it works, then install the AMD video driver and again reboot
4 If it fails after doing the above, you most likely have a hardware problem and given the age of this laptop, it is not cost effective to repair

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.