1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen Freezes Graphic driver BIOS update HELP!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Notpretty, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Notpretty

Notpretty Thread Starter

Specs:

Emachines T1440 Celeron 1.4 gig
    XP home
    Motherboard: Lomita 128401 BIOS 71481.EM.0000.D.0208091418
    512 Ram...Just upgraded

Problem...Screen freezes randomly and forces me to reboot. After that I get a windows error reporting fix that sends me to Intel for a graphics accelorator.

At the intel site I get this info...

Listed below are several resources to help you find a solution to the error messages presented by Windows* XP Online Crash Analysis. The OCA message you see may suggest that you need to update your graphics driver as a possible solution. Additional links are provided below with further information on your particular chipset.

Common Symptoms
    The system hangs and/or reboots automatically, followed by one of these errors:
    Error: "Your system has recovered from a serious error. Display driver for the device was unable to complete a drawing operation. Display driver for the [graphics device] seems to be responsible for the instability. Check the manufacturer for a device driver update."
    Error: "The driver for the display device got stuck in an infinite loop."
    Error: "0xEA - Hardware Hang"
    Error: "0x8E - Access Violation"
    Error: "0x50 - Memory Issue"
    These types of errors indicate that the operating system has determined that the graphics driver was taking too long for an operation to complete and that the driver appears to have stopped responding. To the operating system, it appears as though the graphics driver may be stuck in an infinite loop. This sort of error only occurs in Microsoft* Windows.

Step 1: Get the final graphics driver for your chipset

Note: The Intel® 82810 and Intel® 82815 graphics controllers have entered into limited engineering support mode. Intel will continue to make existing graphics drivers available, but will no longer release updates to the graphics drivers for these products.

Download the final graphics driver
    Note: This is a reference driver with generic settings and functionality that has been validated on the operating system and Intel Chipset used in your system. Some system providers modify the reference driver to add or remove certain features before validating the driver for use with their systems. Please check with your system provider to see if they have a display/graphics driver that has been customized and validated for your particular system.

Step 2: Additional troubleshooting

If you continue to see issues with the latest graphics driver, please use the following steps to further isolate the issue:
    Does the issue occur frequently or is it a random issue? If the issue always occurs when the system is performing a certain operation, such as running a particular application or game, then you might check with the software vendor or the Intel® Graphics Gaming Guide to see if there are any patches, fixes, special device settings, service packs, product updates or other such workarounds available.
    When was the last time the system worked without errors? What changes were made since this time, such as driver updates, adding hardware, or installing software? You might remove the changes made (uninstall hardware or software recently added or roll back drivers to the previous version) to see if the issues go away.
    Do you have the latest BIOS for your system? You might check with the motherboard manufacturer or system vendor to see if there is a BIOS update available. Newer graphics drivers rely on current system BIOS updates.
    Does the issue happen when your monitor is set to a particular setting? If so, you might try to change your video resolution settings back to a standard refresh rate and color depth to see if the issues go away.

Additional Resources

The following links are additional resources that will provide valuable information for your product:
    Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller (Intel® 815 Chipset Family)
    Intel® 82810 Graphics Controller (Intel® 810 Chipset Family)
    Intel® Graphics Gaming Guide

If you read the above carefully it says to install a graphics accelorator. I've done that 4 times and the screen keeps freezing up...appears to be video issue. So...if you continue to read the above it says "If you still have this happening you may need to update your system BIOS. Out of date BIOS may not work with updated graphic drivers etc. I've done some researching and I have:

a Lomita 128401 motherboard and a current bios ID of: 71481.EM.0000.D.0208091418

I've read enough to know the doing a BIOS flash can be risky. Do you think I should attempt to update the BIOS...how do I do that/where...I can't find an update for that bios. Or is plan B...backing down to an older driver version smarter.

Or/FYI...this motherboard has an on-board video card...which I assume is not great anyway. Can simply buying a new video card...installing it...and deactivating the on-board card solve this?

Help

Marlon

2. mattyc

mattyc

Did this start when you upgraded the memory?

What type of memory did you install? Please post the specs, or a link to the page you bought it from.

OnBoard graphics cards use system memory, so if you have bad memory the graphics card could be affected.

www.memtest.org
    Download memtest86+ burn it to a cd, or install on a floppy.
    Boot the machine off the cd/floppy and let memtest run to see if you have memory errors.

www.crucial.com memory config tool says your system supports PC133 SDRAM, with a max of 256 per slot.
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=T1440

3. Notpretty

Notpretty Thread Starter

Yeah...if you read the entire thread I've done the Memtest86 thing. Ran it over an hour with no issues. I have the right ram too. Its PNY brand 256 PC133 ram. Sitting next to it is Muskin brand 256 PC133...which brings me to the board max. Does having two brands present a possible issue?

Onboard graphics use system memory... What type of memory? RAM...ROM...what?

If what you say is true...and I believe you are correct...buying an inexpensive PCI video card might be a solution. Situation avoidance kind of thing...??? What do you think?

My only concern is there is a modern video driver issue with old system BIOS. I'm thinking if that is the problem, the v-card may not help. I can roll-back the drivers...just want to go forward and not back if I can. I have plenty of free time to troubleshoot too.

4. mattyc

mattyc

No where in your first post did you mention running memtest, but anyways, if you ran it already thats good.
    I am just suspecting the memory because this started happening when you installed the memory. An onboard graphics card will use some of your RAM for video mem.

You could search the emachines website for a video driver, and bios versions. Maybe the stock intel driver won't work on the emachines board.

Having 2 different brands may or may not be a problem. It depends on the board, and if it can deal with different latencies. You new memory might have a latency of 2, and the board needs the latency to be 3.
    You can also try running only the new memory and see if the problem goes away, or try swapping the 2 slots the memory is in.

Maybe the onboard graphics chip doesn't like the new memory, so getting a stand alone pci video card would help.

5. zyper95

zyper95

Has this happen after you installed the new RAM?

6. Notpretty

Notpretty Thread Starter

Well...I installed a new PCI style video card...simple 32 meg one...and the crashing is gone!! There must have been an issue with the RAM and the onboard v-card. System is flying fast and smooth too. Issues appear to be resolved!.

7. Notpretty

Notpretty Thread Starter

I'm back... Still lingering problems. Computer is running...I'm typing on it now, but I....

I just got this:

Windows Stop:

Stop: 0x0000008E (oxc0000005, 0x8056A249, 0xf7c9a9dc, 0x000000000)

It says to restart if this is the first time I've gotten this

If second time follow steps below... Essentially it says try a different video adapter, remove any hardware recently added, roll back drivers....check for BIOS updates...

Thoughts?

8. omdown

omdown

That definitely looks like a memory error. Try taking the new stick back out and see how it runs.

9. zyper95

zyper95

I suggest that you check if one your memory is defective or the RAM slots. Try installing them one at a time and test in all the slots.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/622729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice