1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

screen freezes in geo pattern multiple times a day...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gawrycht, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gawrycht

gawrycht Thread Starter

I have a HP Pavilion w/Windows XP Media Center Edition. Some months ago my screen started freezing in a little geometric pattern (see attached pic) at any given time for no apparent reason. It does this multiple times a day and I have to reboot using the power button. As far as I know all the programs are still open and running but who knows because I can't see anything?
    I contacted HP multiple times to no avail. First they had me test the monitor by hooking my laptop up to it and leaving it on. The monitor worked fine. Then I updated all my drivers and my graphics card driver (NVidia). Then I updated my BIOS. Their last attempt was to have me do a destructive re-format of my hard drive (system recover) to reinstall everything on a clean slate. The screen still freezes.
    Can anyone tell me what the problem may be? I am almost to the point of going out and buying a new graphics card just because I can't think of anything else and no one has been able to tell me what it is... Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

2. CDATech

CDATech

No attached screenshot. Without seeing it it does sound like a hardware issue. Have you attempted to test your system's memory with memtest86?

3. gawrycht

gawrycht Thread Starter

I tried attaching the pic of the screen shot a few times and the upload keeps failing. I haven't used memtest86 to test the memory; just taken the steps I listed, so far, that HP recommended.
    Just wish I could get this file to upload because the visual would probably help... What would the memory have to do with the screen freezing like that?

4. CapriAnupam

CapriAnupam

I had a problem with PC freezing like that.... multiple times in the day. I solved it by reseating my RAM. So you can try and reseat the RAM sticks.. clean them of dust, take them out and reseat them. You can do a memtest additionally to see if any of the stick is bad.

5. gawrycht

gawrycht Thread Starter

Tried pulling the RAM sticks out, cleaning them and re-seating. Also ran two memory tests; the one included with PC Doctor already installed and memtest86, which I downloaded. The computer worked fine for the rest of the day and then froze again in the evening. It has frozen again every day since then ... same pattern. Any other ideas out there?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/778851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice