1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen Freezes Then Goes Black

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by puppypaws, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puppypaws

puppypaws Thread Starter

I am running XP Pro, IE8 with SP3. This is a new install into a custom built computer. I was having a blue screen problem, and this disappeared, now after I've been using the computer for maybe 1 hr. or 5 hrs., no real pattern, it will freeze and within seconds, the screen goes black. The fans continue to run and I can push the small thin button on top of the handle (not the main power button) and it will reboot and run perfectly. I know this problem has been seen many times, and can be caused by a number of items, one being heat. I've run a heat test, and it appears everything is fine. Anyone who has seen this problem, and can possibly help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

It may give us some clues by seeing the minidumps from the BSOD's that you had as these are probably associated with the black screen. Please follow this guide to find and attach the minidumps to your next post.

3. puppypaws

puppypaws Thread Starter

I could not locate the dump files you spoke of so I took two screen shots of what was showing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

No sign of the minidump folder in those screen shots so your system is not set to save them.

Follow this guide to try and find any critical errors that coincide with the freezes. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Follow this to set up your system to save minidumps, if you then get any more BSOD's it will save them for analysis.

5. puppypaws

puppypaws Thread Starter

Thank you for giving me your time and concern. I've done what you asked, so now we will wait for the culprit to show up once again, then possibly isolate the problem. It did it to me twice this morning back to back, and has not done it all day since. I'm sure it will show up again, I will then see if maybe you can figure out what is taking place.

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

There are a couple of other things you can try.

Run a test on the RAM as follows:
    Also try this:
    • Download the latest graphics driver for your card and version of windows and save it to the desktop.
    • Go into Control Panel and select Add/Remove programs (XP) or Programs & Features, look for any software related to the graphics card and uninstall it.
    • Go into Device Manager and locate the graphics card under Display Adapters, right click on it and select Uninstall.
    • Run through this routine and locate any/all graphics drivers and delete them. Do not reboot, just close all the boxes to get back to the desktop.
    • Double click on the driver that you saved to your desktop to install it.
    • Now reboot and wait to see if the problem has gone.

7. puppypaws

puppypaws Thread Starter

I did this last night, uploaded the latest graphics driver. I am going to wait until the problem reoccurs to see if we can isolate the problem.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!