1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen gets scrambled.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vortexz, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vortexz

vortexz Thread Starter

Hello everyone.
    I just bought myself a new desktop, with following configuration
    1. Motherboard Asus B85m-g
    2. Intel I5 4590
    3. Video card Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3g GDDR5 384 bit Dual-x Boost OC
    4.Memory Corsair Vengeance 2x 4096 1600 Mhz
    5. HDD seagate 1 TB and SSD Kingston 120 GB
    I use both DVI slot and HDMI slots for video cards with 1 Samsung monitor and 1 samsung big lcd screen as secondary display.

I have the following problem with my pc:
    Each time I start the PC FRESH, after about 2 minutes my image gets scrambled like in the uploaded picture.
    The weird part is that it does this only once (maximum twice) when I start my PC fresh.By fresh I mean like after it hasn't been used for at least a few hours.After this happens, I have to reset my PC and then it won't happen anymore for no matter how long I use the pc, until I shut it down and I start it like next day again
    Thinking at this, my belive is that it does this because of the videocard when it is COLD, when it gets a little HOT it will not do this anymore.
    Can anyone help me solve this problem?
    Thank you !

[​IMG]

2. PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

Ding ding ding! Your video card's BGA connection to it's PCB board is damaged, but the problem only appears at certain temperatures because of thermal expansion. In your case it appears when your card is cold, like you said.

Sure can! You need to buy a new video card. :D

There are ways to repair cards, (reflowing using hot air / oven), but if you value your time and sanity i strongly suggest you simply buy a new card. There are even "penny" tricks where you can take the heatsink off, put a penny (or dime, or other flat copper shim) on top of the chip, and then put the heatsink back on (being sure to apply thermal paste to all surfaces). This puts more pressure on the GPU which pushes the solder balls underneath it down, and often fixes the crack. Just note that these kinds of solutions are crude and unlikely to work for a long time.

Heck, when working on laptops and you see this problem, you can sometimes press down on the chip with your finger and watch the lines go away and then reappear when you take your finger off.

3. vortexz

vortexz Thread Starter

my video card is brand new and is still under warranty how could I prove the warranty that it's faulty and it need to be repaired/replaced ?

4. PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

Send them the pictures that you just posted here. They're pretty convincing.

You put "OC" in the description of the card. So it's overclocked correct? Did you overclock it? Or did it come like that?

You said you use two monitors. Does this happen on both of them at the same time?

5. vortexz

vortexz Thread Starter

yes it happens on both at the same time.
    I have't made any chances to the video card, I belive it comes OCed by factory.

6. PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

Yeah so that rules out the small chance that it's a cable or screen problem.

Just contact them and say its already dead and you want a new one. The warranty probably doesn't guarantee you your money back, just a new card of the same type. So they probably won't ask you too much for evidence because you're not gaining anything by lying. If your card works they'll just swap it for another one that works. You win nothing.

There is a good chance that you're not the only one experiencing problems with these lines of cards, but it's also possible that this is that one-in-a-thousand unlucky card.

EDIT: When those lines and funny colors appear, does your computer freeze completely? Can you still move the mouse and sort of make it out on the screen? If it happened while you're watching a video, would the sound freeze/dissapear or just keep playing?

7. vortexz

vortexz Thread Starter

the warranty is done by the local store I bought the video card here, they will surely verify if it's dead or not,and most likely they will say it's working fine and they will not find the issue because the services in my country are so bad.is there a way i can make it dead (not work at all) without them noticing my intervention over the video card ?
    This way they will have nothing to do about it and they will just have to replace it with a new one.

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

No, don't do that. the problem is well known enough that there should be no argument.
    Point them to this thread and show them what we've said.

They will have got a warranty with the card from the makers so the most they are likely to lose is postage and a bit of labour time.
    You need to go to the store, not the makers.

9. vortexz

vortexz Thread Starter

ok thanks

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice