1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen goes black after a video card driver installed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Telas, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Telas

Telas Thread Starter

Specs:
    gigabyte ep35-ds3 Motherboard
    Intel Dual Core 2Duo 2.87GHz Processor
    AMD Radeon HD 6670 Video Card
    2 Gb RAM

Couple of days ago my screen suddenly went black when I was working on some AutoCAD software. When I tried to reboot/shutdown/removing power cable, every time after I saw the windows 8 loading logo, screen went black before reaching login screen.

Eventually, after I formatted my PC, deleted all the partitions, erased all the data that was left, I installed Windows 7 with SP1. Then updated it with windows update, installed chipset updated drivers, audio drivers and then drivers for the video card from their website.

I also installed .net Framework 4.0 as a prerequisite for a latest Catalyst 13.4 suite.
    After reboot I can log into windows, see desktop, open folders, change screen resolution, even ran DXDiag and it was fine. But when I tried to open any program (IE, Media Player and so on) the screen went black again and didn’t respond even to Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
    It also went black when I tried to open "System" from control panel. One of the programs that didn't make my screen go black was a notepad (comforting).
    If I don't install a video driver from AMD website and leave the original Standard VGA Graphics Adapter from Windows, everything works fine (except from the ability to use a graphics card properly of course).

Any suggestions what could be wrong and what should I do?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would tend to think you have some failing hardware. First of all when you install the video driver, it draws more pw than when using a standard ms driver. Check your voltages ie 12V, 5V and 3.3V values and post those here for review. You can access this info in the bios under hardware OR since it is a gigabyte board, you can install easytune [I am not sure if easytune will work with just the standard ms video driver]

Next the p35 intel chipset was released in 07 so that makes this mb approx 6yrs old. I would get a bright light and give the board a VERY close inspection. Look for any leaking capacitors. If you find any that look like the pics below, you have found your problem.

Attached Files:

3. Telas

Telas Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, I would definitely try this. I also already tried something else that got me thinking that may be it was a power supply problem. When I disconnected one of the fans ( not the CPU or GPU of course, the other one), and thus lowering power consumption, screen didn't go black when I tried to enter "System" icon from control panel, something that he couldn't do before. The problem got back also when I changed a screen refresh rate from 60 to 75 Hz..

Voltages and Temperatue:

Vcore: - 1.204V
    DDR18V - 1.902V
    3.3V - 3.312V
    12V - 12.048V
    Sys temp - 38C
    CPU temp - 3C

There's no mention of 5V in BIOS, though I do know it has to be.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Quickest way to check a pw supply is to swap in a known good unit. Note known good does not mean new; it means a pw supply pulled from a working system that you know works. A pw supply can be DOA just like any other new part and that will really mess up your troubleshooting.

There are pw supply testers however they are not always correct ie you can have a unit "pass" and still be the cause of the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1097461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice