1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen goes black when playing games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Enertez, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Enertez

Enertez Thread Starter

Hey there!

I've got a quite irritating problem. When I play WoW or Mw2 (haven't tried other games) my computer screen goes black after some time, usually between 10-30 minutes, and my computer fans starts to work for all they're worth. The picture doesn't come back so I have to manually reboot the computer by holding the power button, and the the temperature inside the computershell is cool with a good airflow. I'm running a windows vista 32-bit version and my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT. I asked the computer store where I buyed it to try and see if they could find the problem, but they had no clue what it could be.
    I've tried updating my drivers, scanning for virus etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
    Enertez

2. sid_tech

sid_tech

Does your computer fulfills the following requirement?

Recommended: Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2
    Recommended: 1 GB RAM (2 GB for Vista users)
    GeForce 9000 series with Driver version 178.24

Regards
    Sid

3. Enertez

Enertez Thread Starter

Yes,

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz
    RAM: 4GB
    Graphics card: GeForce 9600 GT, driver version 8.17.0011.9713

4. sid_tech

sid_tech

Hi Enertez,

The first step when facing any error or crash is to close down WoW and remove the WTF, WDB and Interface folders from the World of Warcraft game directory. These folders contain temporary data and frequently altered files that may have become corrupted. This will also remove any custom UI's that may contribute to the problem as well.

You can move these folders to the desktop or another directory if you wish to retain the data, however for now please start WoW without those folders present. Also do not use any third party programs to start WoW; often some custom UI's will place a shortcut for you to start WoW from, please use the (Launcher.exe) in the World of Warcraft directory.

Do you get any specific error message like
    Error 0
    Error 121
    Error 124
    Error 131
    Error 132
    Error 134

Regards
    Sid

5. sid_tech

sid_tech

Hi Enertez,

If the above step does not help then you can do the following...

For black screen crash occurs during Game play. There are a number of possible causes that include, inadequate cooling, using an insufficient power supply, malfunctions within the video card, or improper powering of newer video cards. Disabling AGP Fastwrites or changing the AGP aperture settings in the BIOS (we do not recommend BIOS changes unless a technician is present) has corrected the issue in some cases. Some UIs may also cause the crash and deleting the WDB, WTF, and Interface folders located in the game directory on your hard drive may correct the issue. As always, if the steps listed to not assist you in correcting the error, please email [email protected]

Regards
    Sid

6. Enertez

Enertez Thread Starter

Ok, I will try that! But can the wow files really cause this problem for modern warfare 2 aswell?

Edit: I don't get any error messages, since the computer just freezes, the sound lags and I have to cut the power to it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice