1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

screen goes blank after windows xp boot screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hyeedo, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

hello everyone
    When i turn on my coputer it goes up to my windows boot screen where the bars move than after that the screen goes blank. I havent made any changes and it was working fine just before it. Does anyone know what i can do.
    thanks

2. Sponsor

3. keltix

keltix

-what kind of blank?
    -OS?
    -specs?
    -most likely reinstall windows

4. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

just a black screen, windows xp proffesional athlon 64 3200 500 watt power supply, 1 512 mushkin 1 kingston 512,

5. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

the first time i turn it on it freezes on the motherboard lanparty screen, it doesnt even get to the part where it boots from cds, than if i clik the restart button it loads up to the windows boot screen and screen goes blank right after that.

6. jmeit

jmeit

does your hdd light indicate that it's still working to load windows while the screen is blank?
    are you sure that absolutely nothing was changed before it started acting up? does your motherboard have integrated graphics? do you have a graphics card?

7. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

my hdd kind of stops, my video card is a gforce 6800 no integrated. Even after i disconnected my hard drives it stil froze at the same spot, i somhow managed a ram chek and it was good after 7 tests. At first it freezes at my motherboard screen logo, than if i clik the restart button it loads up to the windows boot screen than goes blank, for once i left it there for about 20 minuts and it came to the log in screen but wen i tryed logging in, it was extremely sloww it didnt get to the desktop.

8. Goblin072

Goblin072

Does it boot up into safe mode?

If you have access to another PC you should make a diagnostics boot CD. Set your bios to boot from CD that will take the windows OS out of the equation.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    You will be able to run memory tests from here.

Anyone that likes to debug and tinker needs a boot CD or Boot floppy.

Don't just reinstall windows at the drop of a hat. I have had my windows install for 4 years and have had my system totally hosed many times, I could always coax in back with some tinkering.
    If you are into reinstalling windows at least have a boot image of your working system. This will save a ton of time vs doing the very process of installing windows + drivers + software + updates etc......... much more time than people like to admit.

9. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

i did a mem test and it worked okay, im about to try the diagnostic test, i just tryed reinstalling windows and its not going to well it froze after formating the hard drive =\.

10. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

hey can you help me with this diagnostic boot cd i went to that web site but thers alot of thingsim not sure which one i would need.

11. Goblin072

Goblin072

Get V4.1.1 they are all the same file. ISO is what you want. The zip and self extracting zip have the same ISO inside them. So download which ever you can grab the fastest.

Burn the ISO with your DVD software. Neuro or something similar. The disk that is created can be booted. You get a DOS like menu and can run many apps built into the CD from there.

I think there is a system burn in test and many HD tests. You don't have to worry about it being some windows driver issue as its bypassed. If you system is fine with Ultimate boot utilities then its probably a windows issue. Could be bios or hardware when you nail it down let us know.

12. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

it fixed, thank you

13. Goblin072

Goblin072

What was wrong with it?

14. hyeedo

hyeedo Thread Starter

i stil had no idea, i just reformated it, and it started working fine, probaly windows went corupt or something

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/613291