screen goes blank

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thefemail

This is a new probelm for me. I thought I've seen them all. About every 10 mintues my computer screen goes blank. THe computer is still on and the monitor light is on but the screen is black. I have to reboot it for it to come back on. I'm now sure where to begin troubleshooting. Could it be the video card, the ribbon to the video card, or the driver, or God forbid could it be the CPU heating up? HELP Please!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Are you physically doing something when it goes blank? If not, do you have a screen saver set to kick in? Or power management features enabled?

Have you checked your screen saver and power management options? They could cause the problem. What are they set to?

thefemail

It's not the screensaver. Because I'm actively surfing the net (like I'm always doing) when this happens. Usually I have 2 windows open at the time this happens.

thefemail

Power management options are set to turn the computer off after 3 hours. Hibernate after 1 hour

As a test select NONE for screen saver, I have it be a problem in the past.

thefemail

Arrrrggghhh!! It was gone for about a week or so but now It's back. My screen saver is still disabled, but my screen keeps going blank every 15 or 20 minutes. But the computer is still on. weird stuff going on here.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Do you have another computer you can test the monitor on?

thefemail

Yes I do. But it's a moose of a monitor. I guess I procrastinated enough that the problem went away. My monitor has been staying on now. weird!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online