1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen Going Black For A Few Seconds Randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JimmyPal, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyPal

JimmyPal Thread Starter

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice on a problem I'm having. I've had a look around the web and I've found some posts with the same issues however I can't find anything that is specific to the problems I'm having.

For the last few months, I've been experiencing random black screens that last a few seconds before video signal is restored. When the monitor comes back it's as if the signal has completely reconnected (rather than just showing a black screen).

I generally use a dual monitor set-up however it is only the second monitor that loses the connection. This monitor is connected through the DVI port and the monitor that is connected through the HDMI port never blinks, which lead me to believe this was either a monitor issue or a DVI port issue. When the HDMI monitor is used as a single monitor (rather than dual), this does not disconnect.

However, when I hook the PC up to my TV through HDMI and use it as a single monitor, this does occur the black screens which happen on my second monitor meaning it's not a monitor issue or a specific port issue.

This happens both under load and during general use such as browsing the internet or even just idle at the desktop. I've tried various drivers on the Nvidia GTX 980 in question however all giving the same problem.

I was fairly adamant that this was a GPU issue and as a result sent the unit back while it was under warranty. While this card was being repaired I bought a cheap AMD card to get me through however the problem was still occurring even with this new card!

The next thing I have been thinking is the PSU (Corsair GS800 currently in the system) however when monitoring the voltages through the Asus Suite for my motherboard, they seem stable.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on this or could offer any advice?

Thanks

TL;DR:
    Randomly getting black screens lasting a few seconds at a time
    Happening on multiple monitors in both dual and single screen set-up
    Happens on multiple output ports
    Happens on both GPU's tested (from different manufacturers)
    Happens on multiple driver versions
    Happens on both Windows 7 and Windows 10
    Happens both under load and idling

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    As long as I stick with driver version 347.88, I don't have that problem with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 graphics card in my 3 desktops which are running Windows 7 64-bit.

If I use any of the newer versions, I have pretty much the same problem as you - the monitor blacks out for about 5 seconds and then returns to normal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

The GS series aren't particularly great PSUs, for a gaming system you really want to be sticking to HX, AX and RM models only if you are using Corsair.

I have used NVidia GPUs for years (having had a couple of bad AMD experiences years ago) and have never seen this problem myself, however I only use a single monitor setup. That doesn't mean it isn't happening to you obviously :)

Based on the details you have given, there are a couple of possible culprits in my opinion:

1) The motherboard - i.e. PCIe slot itself could be the issue, have you tried the card in another slot assuming you have more than one on the board?
    2) The PSU - If the PSU isn't delivering stable power it will cause problems. How old is it? You say the values look stable in Asus Suite, what are the values and was that under load or just while idle? Have you been monitoring Asus suite at a time that the second monitor has gone off?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1155894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice