1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen going black

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bszerobeat, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bszerobeat

bszerobeat Thread Starter

Hey guys. I'm having trouble with a friends laptop. She has a HP DV6426US which came pre-installed Vista. I recently downgraded it to XP SP2 and installed all the right drivers.

Now here's the tricky thing. When she uses the laptop, the screen works fine but sometimes the screen would just go black at random times. The power is still on, everything is responsive except for the screen. I uninstalled the video drivers and reinstalled again, but the issue would still occur.

Can anyone give me a solution?

Thanks.

2. bboy_cero

bboy_cero Banned

Is she doing anything while the screen goes black?

3. bszerobeat

Well, she can be doing anything before the screen goes black. Do homework on Msword, listening to music, browsing the web. The screen just turns blank at random times.

I've already asked if the laptop had been dropped and her response was No.

4. bboy_cero

bboy_cero Banned

ok but does she leaves the laptop and then the screen goes black (if the screen goes black while she isn't doing anything then she needs to check something on what I will lead her or you, whatever).

5. AleciaBrent

AleciaBrent Banned

My guess is its software related it could be the Hardware or BIOS

6. bszerobeat

Well, I'm assuming it doesn't go black when she is not using it, since it never happened. The laptop can be used for 1, 2, 3 hours without it going black, and sometimes it can just be used for 20 minutes.

I was also thinking it is hardware related but....what I don't understand is it happens randomly; it doesn't matter if the HDD or CPU is under heavy load.

If it is BIOS related, is there a solution?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice