1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen / Graphics Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jimbo_Ray, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimbo_Ray

Jimbo_Ray Thread Starter

Hi

I have a problem with my screen which may be to do with my graphics card. I get lines/stripes going down the screen (see picture). I have tried installing card drivers and anti virus scans but nothing improves the situation.

I do find sometimes when starting up that a slightly weird/different noise is made from the fan behind the computer.

If it is a graphics card problem, is it repairable? or how much will a basic/ goodish card cost to replace the desktop pc's one?

if any help is available it would be much appreciated.

Jim
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Shot.jpg
      Shot.jpg
      File size:
      186.1 KB
      Views:
  2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you change anything such as install a new driver or change screen res?

Next does this same thing occur if you enter the bios; ie do you see the screen corruption in the bios?

3. BG-0

BG-0

After seeing if the corruption shows in BIOS too, try another monitor if possible...

4. Jimbo_Ray

Jimbo_Ray Thread Starter

Thanks for your help,

After starting the computer the problem still occurs the moment I see anything booting up on the screen.

Changing the resolution/pixels or updating the normal drivers didn't change anything.

I'll follow your advice and try a different monitor, which I hope to get off a friend tomorrow.

thanks again

J

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the problem still occurs with a known good monitor, then you have a video card problem. It is not drivers if you see the same problem in the bios screen since no windows driver is loaded at that time.

Open the case and check that the video card fan is running and not full of dust/dirt. If the fan is running and the hs is not clogged, it is time for a new card.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice