Screen is black on startup with no cursor

Gallo90

Hello, I have a MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Max-Q laptop and when I boot it up the display is just black but the lights are on which means the computer is running/on. How can I fix the display to work?

cwwozniak

Chuck
Hi, Gallo90, and welcome to TSG.

Operate the laptop in a darkened room and check if there is any glow of light from the screen, particularly alone one or more edges of the screen. If there is no glow, shine a strong light on the screen and see if see any kind of video information being displayed.

If you get no glow but can see information on the screen some possible causes are:

1) A failure of the LED (I believe it is LED and not CCFL) backlight in the LCD panel.

2) A failure of the backlight power supply/controller on the laptop's motherboard.

3) A loose connection or a broken wire in the cable between the motherboard and the LCD panel's backlight.

4) A corrupted or misconfigured windows driver for the LCD panel is not turning on the backlight power.

The first three cases would require opening up the laptop's case and lid and checking connectors and using a meter to check for voltages.

The fourth case would typically still allow the screen to properly display BIOS powerup information before Windows launches and takes over control of the display.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Connect an external monitor and see if that works
If you indeed have had a second monitor connected see owners manual
There maybe a possibility that display has been switched to second monitor only, this can stay so set even when external monitor is disconnected

Last edited:

Gallo90

Hi, Gallo90, and welcome to TSG.

Operate the laptop in a darkened room and check if there is any glow of light from the screen, particularly alone one or more edges of the screen. If there is no glow, shine a strong light on the screen and see if see any kind of video information being displayed.

If you get no glow but can see information on the screen some possible causes are:

1) A failure of the LED (I believe it is LED and not CCFL) backlight in the LCD panel.

2) A failure of the backlight power supply/controller on the laptop's motherboard.

3) A loose connection or a broken wire in the cable between the motherboard and the LCD panel's backlight.

4) A corrupted or misconfigured windows driver for the LCD panel is not turning on the backlight power.

The first three cases would require opening up the laptop's case and lid and checking connectors and using a meter to check for voltages.

The fourth case would typically still allow the screen to properly display BIOS powerup information before Windows launches and takes over control of the display.
I don't get any kind of light coming from the screen neither any information unfortunately.

cwwozniak

Chuck
I tried it and I get no display on the external monitor
Did you power up the laptop with the monitor connected and turned on? The computer may not be detecting the monitor if it is connected after boot up. You can also see if the keyboard has a function key to toggle between the internal display and external monitor.

I don't get any kind of light coming from the screen neither any information unfortunately.
If you cannot get anything showing on the internal screen or on a connected monitor, my first guess would be a major hardware failure in the video portion controller portion of the motherboard.

Gallo90

Did you power up the laptop with the monitor connected and turned on? The computer may not be detecting the monitor if it is connected after boot up. You can also see if the keyboard has a function key to toggle between the internal display and external monitor.

If you cannot get anything showing on the internal screen or on a connected monitor, my first guess would be a major hardware failure in the video portion controller portion of the motherboard.
What should I do in this situation then?

cwwozniak

Chuck
If it is still under warranty, get it replaced or repaired under warranty.

If it is no longer under warranty, find a reputable computer repair shop to give you a quote to repair your laptop. There may be an inspection fee for that service. Depending on their skill level, they may recommend replacing the motherboard rather than attempt to troubleshoot the motherboard down to the component level and replace the bad part(s). At that point, you can decide if the cost of repair exceeds the cost of replacing the computer. If you replace, there are ways to recover your files from the broken computer's hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online