1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen is flickering with bright colors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by billy18, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billy18

billy18 Thread Starter

Hello. Lately my screen is flickering while I play games (or even watching movies) and it's quite frustrating... Actually I noticed it starts flickering after an hour I open my pc, and it's going crazy especially when the screen displays bright colors. I see vertical white lines flickering fast.

I had this problem in the past (9 months ago) but it started again yesterday; I don't know what's wrong.
    My monitor is a LG W2241S (connected on pc with DVI wire) and my GPU is a GeForce 9600GT. Running under Windows 7 x64.

I searched all over the net for solution how to stop it but nothing really worked. Any idea what can be wrong? :confused:

2. billy18

billy18 Thread Starter

Anyone?

EDIT: it mostly happens when there are light colors on the screen. I can't figure out what is the problem!

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Failing and/or overheating video card. Could also be power supply related.

4. billy18

billy18 Thread Starter

Thanks for reply. Overheating can be very possible since the room is warmer due to the summer temperature. But except that flickering, everything is working fine.

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Constant/continous overheating can lead to failure. Ensure the fan/heatsinks are clean. Check the card temps.

6. billy18

billy18 Thread Starter

I will remove any dust in the fans and the pc case.

When I open my pc, GPU temp is 41°C and after an hour of playing a game it's above 48°C. and at the same time CPU (Intel core 2 quad 8200) is around 52°C.

7. billy18

billy18 Thread Starter

I noticed that while it's flickering, if I turn off the monitor for 5 minutes and then turn it on, it doesn't flicker for some time. How does this affect the video card???

8. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Based on that comment I would suspect a problem with the monitor itself.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1000208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice