1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen is wider than monitor, cuts things off

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Zetsumei, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zetsumei

Zetsumei Thread Starter

Hi, I'm not that new to technology and I know my way around the basics but I can't seem to fix this. I got this monitor 1 - 2 years ago and I've had the pc for even longer, maybe 3 or 4 years. I'm running an hp windows 8 and a samsung curved monitor.
    My problem is, the monitor rests just larger than my monitor. It doesn't seem to happen 100% of the time, but tiny things like part of the date and time in the bottom right corner is cut off, or only half of the 'close window' button shows. I've had this problem for about a year now, maybe more without me noticing. I've tried adjusting my desktop resolution, using the monitor's adjustment settings itself, but the only thing that worked a bit was opening some hp windows adjustment thing. I got it to fit perfectly by manually changing it, but it then created tiny blurry spots as if the resolution went down. Even after reverting the changes, I still now have a few leftover blurry spots.
    Is my monitor just doomed to not fit right? It's not the end of the world if it is, it's a minor problem but it becomes annoying over time.
    Thanks for any help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't know if it will help this issue, but I'd upgrade to Windows 8.1 and make sure the Display driver (as well as other ones) is the latest from HP.

3. Zetsumei

Zetsumei Thread Starter

how do I do that exactly? and I can't really buy new stuff, I'm kinda broke

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Windows 8.1 upgrade should be available for free from the Store (unless other Windows updates need to be installed first.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!