Screen jumps and colour freezes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hmarko

Hey everyone. I just registered because I can't take it any more. I've been having this issue for a while and it really ruins gaming.
So what happens is, usually when playing a game, fron the start, the screen start jumping around, kind of like and old TV, then after a while it freezes, showing a random colour, or a mix of colours (I've noticed that it probably depends on what colour was on the screen at the time)

I'm suspecting a graphics card issue, but I can't be sure, I've done driver reainstalls and everything.
I have
an Intel HD Graphics 4600
An AMD radeon R9 200 series
I'm running windows 8.1 (which might also be a problem, I' not sure)
I have intel core i5-4440 CPU

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Please do as below, so I know a little more about your system than what you have posted
Also include please the Make and FULL MODEL of the computer if it is branded
and whether it is a laptop or desktop
ALSO include please the anti virus in use.

We recommend that you download our free SysInfo utility. When you run it, it will show technical specifications of your computer. Please copy and paste that information and include it with your question below. Thank you!

Hmarko

It is a desktop.
As for antivirus, I use the free version of avast.
And here's all my info (just to be clear, I have no idea what half of this means.)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit, Build 9600, Installed 20150914210651.000000+120
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (43 GB Free); D: 1863 GB (1814 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B85M-D3H, ver x.x, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Oh and I also have a visual aid.
Last time it happenned, the screen looked like this (only way to quit is to force restart):

Attachments

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Well as you can see it has not detected your actual card the R9
It has only seen your integrated graphics
To where on the tower are the R9 connected, as the integrated graphics aare on the I/O plate, that is where the mouse, keyboard and LAN connect
The actual card will be below the I/O plate.
Do you have two monitors or only one

This is your I/O plate
8020_big.jpg

Hmarko

I don't get it, my computer recognises my AMD, or at least says soin my Device Manager, but my hames don't seem to either.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
So as I asked and sent you the image
to where is the monitor connected

on my image on post 4 is your I/O plate from your computer motherboard site

On your last image of the three you can see the inside of the I/O connections below the case fan
and you can see the one marked VGA and then further along you can see USB and AUDIO marked underneath where there is a molex connection, that is the white plug with four pins

Further along going down and left from the molex you can see your card - IS YOUR monitor connected to that which as I said is separate to the I/O plate connections the last of which is the audio connections - as shown on my image post 4 - to the right of the image.

Last edited:

Hmarko

My monitor's connected to the I/O, best ai can tell to the white one, ehich is to the left of the image that you sent.

Just so I understand this correctly, does the card have to be connected to the tower itself?
I tought you only have to plug it into PCI ×16

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If YOU have the connection further down the tower BELOW the I/O plate then that is where you connect to use the card the AMD R9
rather than the integrated graphics

I do not know, how I can make the explanation any clearer for you, than as given in my previous posts - especially my image in post 4 and my post 7 referencing your image

Hmarko

Okay, so I finaly realised what you were saying. I didn't know that graphics cards have their own monitor connections. I changed it to the I/O and the effect seems to have stopped. Your software still doesn't seem to recognise my R9, but what matters for me is that this screen freezing issue's gone.
Sorry for being dense :D
And thanks a lot, you saved me!

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1. You do not want it on the I/O you want it on the connection lower down if you wish to use the AMD card
2. No need to apologise, it was simply I think that you did not appreciate the difference in the connections

3. If it jumps and freezes with the card connected to the monitor, as against the integrated graphics, then PROVIDING you were definitely connected to the card and NOT to the I/O, then the problem is either the card OR the driver for the card

4. FOLLOW as below with the monitor connected as NOW to the integrated graphics

5. Lets start with the driver
You want to go here
https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...es/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-290
whether yours is the 290 makes no difference as the driver is common to the 200 series
Then you want Windows 8.1 64 bit
Then you will see this driver with the download button
Revision Number
Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.1 Optional
File Size
400 MB
Release Date
7/14/2017

6. DO NOT RUN it SAVE it to your computer.
on the download tab click save as using the arrow to the right of save and save to your desktop

7. Then follow as here
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/rs-uninstall

8. Follow it carefully please through EACH step noting the restart requirement.
DO NOT use 3rd party uninstall tools, such as DDU - display driver uninstaller.
Use the recommended method from AMD

9. THEN SHUT DOWN disconnect from your I/O plate and connect to your AMD card
REBOOT

10. Now follow as here
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/rs-install

You will note that one of the instructions is
Ensure that any existing AMD graphics driver on the system is removed before installing a new driver package. Performing a complete uninstall ensures a clean system and can help reduce issues or conflicts that may occur on new installations.
which of course you have done above.

11. So you proceed as on the link BUT please read it carefully, for instance
Note: Close all opened applications including anti-virus, firewall, remote-access, or webcam software before attempting the install process.
So on the link follow the procedure

12. Once the Radeon Software package has been downloaded, which it has YOU have it on your desktop run the executable file to begin the installation.
Agree the conditions and then select
Accept and Express Install – Installs only default components included in the driver package.

13. When it has installed follow again as on the link and should be on your monitor
Once the installation has successfully completed, the final screen should provide Restart Now and/or Close options
14. So restart, re-enable AV and Firewall and test to see if we have eliminated the jumping and freezing

Hmarko

Okay so I tried it just as you suggested, and it seems to have gotten a tiny bit better, but it may be just because of the restart, because once I start uo the PC, it usually starts of better.
So I guess my graphics cars is fried? I mean it is pretty old.

managed

Allan
So you followed all the steps in post #10 successfully ?
And now the monitor is connected to the graphics card ?

If you are connected to the graphics card and getting a good display on the monitor then the graphics is NOT fried.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I cannot see clearly from the images you attached in your post
However look at this image
https://forums.techguy.org/attachments/20200313_161005-jpg.275094/
look at the fan on the card that has the yellow and black cable running across the front of it
CHECK that the cable is not caching on the fan blades
Also there appears as though there may be some deposit of some manner underneath the edge of that fan

Also, although the cooling fins look clean, check those and also check the fan blades for cleanliness, although they do NOT look that bad.

The card is NOT fried, as my colleague says, but it still MAYBE faulty under load

While you have the case open establish the actual MAKE and model of the card as the
An AMD radeon R9 200 series

is simply the GPU chip NOT the make and model

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online