1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen looses video signal occasionally

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vkilljoy, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vkilljoy

vkilljoy Thread Starter

Hi guys,

yesterday I tried to shut down my PC and when I grabbed the mouse the screen suddenly turned itself off... I moved around the mouse and the signal came up again but after 10-15 seconds the same happened again (video signal disappeared!). After a few attempts I managed to shut the PC down.
    When I restarted it, the initial few screens came up normally until it got at the point where I should log on as a user. When I tried to click on the icon to log on, the video signal disappeared and moving the mouse it came up again until it disappeared again after a few seconds.
    The PC works fine, boots correctly, I can even execute programs (no crashes) but I have my screen going on and off all the time!... very annoying.
    Is it possible that it may by a virus ?
    Is it also possible that some overheating occured ?
    I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

2. jamesh2923

jamesh2923

What operating system? What computer?

3. vkilljoy

vkilljoy Thread Starter

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens PC Intel Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz with Windows XP - SP2.

I tried to boot the computer in Safe Mode and it booted fine... no problems with the video signal.
    One thing I noticed, after having a look at the setup screen (pressing DEL in the beginning), was that from the 3 readings about fan rotation, only one had a number (cpu fan), the other two indicated zero. Could this cause the problem ?
    The thing is that I am not certain whether it is a virus or something is wrong with the hardware (fans, power supply, etc.) of my PC.
    The only certain so far is that the screen seems to be ok (because everything was ok when booting in safe mode).
    Another thing to notice is that whenever keep my mouse constantly moving the video signal is fine, however, when I stop moving it, after 3-4 seconds the video signal gets lost.

4. Xephar

Xephar

Check the connections. Loose cable perhaps? If not your monitor might be starting to die. The same thing was happening to me before with my old monitor, and one day I started halflife 2 and everything went green, smoke was coming out of my monitor and then it stopped working. So if the connections are all good, I would expect to see your screen die in the next few months.

5. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

I was thinking its a loose connection, maybe its loose and the mouse cord is wrapped around it or something, when you move the mouse, you pull the cord, and you lose the signal, then you just wiggle it back into place by moving the mouse...

or maybe not...

6. vkilljoy

vkilljoy Thread Starter

No, this is not it because I forgot to mention that my mouse is wireless optical. And how about the fact that in safe mode the video signal is fine ?
    Could a virus cause the problem ?

7. Xephar

Xephar

If the virus is trying to change your screen resolution and refresh rate then maybe. I'd do a virus scan just to be sure, it might be a driver issue as well.

8. vkilljoy

vkilljoy Thread Starter

Another thing just crossed my mind is that the problem showed up 3 days after I installed the wireless mouse (microsoft intellipoint optical). But I doubt that this is the culprit because I was working all these 3 days without problems.
    Anyway, I am intending to run the following tests and see what happens:
    1. Connect my TFT screen to another PC and see what happens.
    2. Run Norton Antivirus
    3. Disconnect my mouse and replace it with the old one.
    4. Open the PC case and see if everything is fine (fans, cards, etc.).
    Tomorrow I will post the results.
    Thanks for the replies and I will hope I hear from you tomorrow.

9. Derrick

Derrick

Maybe under properties under monitor power is set too low? select never turn off monitor ,and see what happens.

10. vkilljoy

vkilljoy Thread Starter

Hi there,

problem solved.
    START -> CONTROL PANEL -> POWER OPTIONS -> TURN OFF MONITOR is set to NEVER and this solved the problem.

This was the first thing I did when I had the problem but because my screen immediately turned off, I did not notice that the particular field (TURN OFF MONITOR) did not have any value at all !!! I set this value to NEVER and problem solved.
    I still cannot figure out how this happened in the first place because I am pretty sure that I did not change anything in the power options scheme.
    Probably the mouse installation caused this ??? I do not know.
    Thanks for your immediate responses !

11. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

Glad it worked, Have a nice day.

12. Derrick

Derrick

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice