1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

screen off center

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by fenwayrocks, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fenwayrocks

fenwayrocks Thread Starter

The splash screen and black screen that lists windows as it's loading are off center to the left. When it gets to the password prompt and beyond, it's centered again. I have to center the screen with a dial under the monitor to be able to see what's loading, etc - then re-adjust for all screens following.

When I bought it used 2 years ago, as my first computer, this didn't happen. I think it began after loading a game. According to Belarc Advisor the monitor is an IBM, "Digital 15in. Color (FR-PCXCV-AC). The comp. is an HP Pent. 133 with 32 memory. Under Device Manager, it says the monitor is working properly, and no drivers are installed or required. Under Display adapters, that says it's working properly too. Under drivers it says I have the latest driver. Should I make an adjustment there? I'm afraid to just do so without some help.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. dbcoooper

dbcoooper

Those bootup screens are at a different resolution than the one you use as your usual desktop.
    Try and do quick screen sizing while it's booting using your monitor's controls. During the black screen part you should be able to hit the 'pause' key to stop and give you time to do it. Does your monitor have a 'store settings' button? If not, at least it's just an annoyance that is gone when you're ready tu use your comp.
    As for the splash part, you'll probably have to reboot several times using fast fingers on the controls before it's perfect.
    hope this helps!

3. fenwayrocks

fenwayrocks Thread Starter

I got it! :D Tried your suggestion, didn't work in this case. Got a solution from another posting. It listed 2 monitors under Device mgr. I deleted them both, re-booted and comp. found monitor again, reinstalled it for me and all screens match up! :p
    My problem wasn't a big deal, but it bugged me. Thanks for your reply!!

4. dbcoooper

dbcoooper

Great!
    Even minor annoyances such as this sometimes start to 'get' to one. But the satisfaction of fixing it and the knowledge gained is priceless....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice