1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen Overheating Inspiron 600m

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NannerPdn, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NannerPdn

NannerPdn Thread Starter

Just to the right of the DELL logo at the bottom of the screen is HOT! There is a gray shadow developing from there. It is not as bad if I only run on the battery.

I found some information and it sounds like I need to replace the screen, but there was mention of a bad inverter, which I think is where the hot spot is.

Do I replace the screen, inverter and cable, or might it just be the inverter?

Also, I upgraded my harddrive a month or so ago and the bottom of the laptop has since tended to be pretty warm. I've kept a small desk fan on it when it seems too warm and no problems, and now air temps are a little cooler (no AC here), but wondered if that has anything to do with the screen problem??

Suggestions for good source for new screen??

Thanks All!!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It sounds like an inverter problem, but it is surprising that it can run so warm and not fail, so expect failure sooner than later.

Repairs sooner than later would possibly help, but one issue you need to be aware of is that it could be a backlight issue (that is overloading the inverter). Rather hard to say which part it is, professional service may save you buying bits you dont need tho.

3. NannerPdn

NannerPdn Thread Starter

Thank you Kiwiguy! You sound decisive, so I'll pursue the repairs asap.

Have also had a boot problem so just now back up, and will now try and figure that out before the screen dies!!

4. NannerPdn

NannerPdn Thread Starter

It looks like an inverter is cheap, $20 or so, so I'm thinking that I could try that before shelling out a minimum of $50, more like $100, for a service person??

Tons of sources out there. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks again!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice