1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen Resolution Changes

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kjinthekitchen, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjinthekitchen

kjinthekitchen Thread Starter

Hello to anyone who might be able to help. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 running on Vista. I recently had the Geek Squad provide support as my laptop was running very slow. They completed all updates and everything seemed fine. I then purchased a Logitech HD web cam and downloaded Skype. Now, every time I boot the screen resolution changes to 800 x 600 and I must go in and change it back manually. I have done a bit of research but am confused as to what the issue might be. I have completed all updates for Vista and the driver. I am only slightly computer literate and would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

kjinthekitchen

2. PedroHin

PedroHin

I saw this happen once on a customer's PC. He somehow managed to change one of his desktop shortcuts for Mozilla Thunderbird email.

The shortcut properties' compatibility tab was checked off for 256 colors @ 640x480 resolution. Every time he started Thunderbird, his resolution would change and then not change back once he got out of the program.

Maybe start with Skype. You have to right-click on the desktop program shortcut, select 'properties' and look at the compatibility tab for it, and then maybe for each program that starts automatically when Windows starts. I hope that's what it is and you find the culprit :)

3. kjinthekitchen

kjinthekitchen Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. I right clicked on the Skype icon on my desktop but did not see a compatability tab. The only tabs I see are labeled General, Sharing, Security and Customize. I then searched any Advanced tabs and did not see anything. I also went into the program folder itself and right clicked there. Still no indication of compatability.

In my research another advanced user mentioned that the monitor should not read "Generic" in the display settings. Mine does for Monitor #1. Monitor #2 is indicated as a model specific monitor but I do not have two monitors. Could this have something to do with it?

Thanks again for your advice. Hopefully there are other suggestions you or others might have.

kjinthekitchen

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice