1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen resolution gets "stuck" after going fullscreen into a different resolution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Demono, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demono

Demono Thread Starter

This problem started happening about a week ago and I've never had a problem like this before. The problem is that often (but not always) when I start a game, it goes into full screen and it will usually change the resolution like mosts games do, except when I either exit the game normally, or alt+tab out of it, the resolution does not change back to normal. I have my desktop resolution set at 1024x768 normally. This seems to hold true for almost all my games. Even the windows screensaver causes the same problem if it changes the resolution.

After this happens, if I go into display properties and try to change any settings whether it is resolutuon, color depth, or even the refresh rate. I get an error that says it can't be done and I probably don't have administrative rights. The only way to fix it is to reboot the computer.

My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420. Around when the probelms started I updated the drivers to some beta drivers from the Nvidia site. I assumed those might be the cause so I downgraded to the latest official foreceware drivers which I had installed before. The only other things I can think of that I have installed before the problem occoured was the new Microsoft Anti-spyware but I doubt that would have caused it.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this problem? I am out of ideas...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice