1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen resolution in Xubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by awg1011, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awg1011

awg1011 Thread Starter

I'm running 2 PCs (Xubuntu and XP home SP3) through a KVM, for the most part I really like using the KVM, however, my only problem is screen resolution in Xubuntu, I prefer using 1024 x 768 but half the time Xubuntu boots with 800 x 600 as the only resolution available, when it does this I shut it down and reboot it then it comes back at 1024 x 768.

It's my understanding that it does this because the KVM doesn't let the monitor report it's capabilities to the PC.

Is their a way to force Xubuntu to always boot in 1024 x 768?

My Xubuntu box is an ASUS P4S800D-X motherboard, 2.5 Ghz P4, GeForce FX 5200 pci video card, and 768 MB RAM.

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. CloudCutter

CloudCutter

Open up a terminal window and enter the following:
    When you are presented with an option for default resolution, enter 1024 x 768. Save, close, log out, and back in (or restart your box if you prefer).

If this doesn't give you the resolution you desire, then the next step would be to make 1024 x 768 the only option. To do this, reopen a terminal window, enter the same string as above, and this time clear out all options but the one you want. Make sure you pick the correct one though. If you choose a setting that is incompatible with your system, the x server won't start. Not a total showstopper, as you can reconfigure from the command line. But if you're not cli-savvy it can take a while to get things back the way you want them. Hope this helps.

CloudCutter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice