1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen/Resolution Issues When Turning Screen On/Off

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by DiabloFan, Apr 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DiabloFan

DiabloFan Thread Starter

Hello everyone! Iv'e been having an issue that's driving me crazy and i'm hoping someone here can help.

The issue i'm having is when my computer goes into sleep/hibernate mode and i wake it up, the screen appears to have a resolution issue ( picture attached ). I figured this wasn't a big deal so i turned sleep/hibernate mode off and just turn my screen off when not in use. I'm getting the exact issue though! When i turn my screen off and back on, the resolution is messed up.
    So now i need help resolving this. If it also fixes it for the sleep/hibernate mode, that would be great but not necessary
    The ONLY recent change is I upgraded to an Asus GTX560 Ti DirectCU II Top OC graphics card. I installed the card into my computer and windows automatically downloaded the drivers for it.
    [​IMG]

Things i've tried:
    1)Uninstalled and reinstalled graphics drivers using windows update and then again through Nvidia website
    2) Currently using HDMI, but get the same issue with DVI-D (single) cord
    3) Completely reinstalled Windows 10 Pro from scratch
    4) Double checked all connections
    5) Look through settings on my TV and settings on the graphics card through Nvidia Experience
    6) Googled similar issues, but im not finding many that have the SAME issue as me
    My setup:
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E8500
    Mobo: Dell OTP412 X38
    GPU: Asus GTX560 Ti DirectCU II Top OC (1gb DDR5)
    PSU: Corsair CX650
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    Screen/Monitor: 50" Sharp LED/LCD TV ( Full 1080p 60hz )

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

You appear to have a very old Dell (OptiPlex?) model desktop.
    What is its model name and model number?
    What is the exact "service tag" and "express service code" numbers on it?

Is it running Windows 10 Pro 32-bit or 64-bit?
    You should download and save the appropriate driver from the NVIDIA site, then select the custom install option, then select the clean install option.

Are you having the same issues when using a standard computer monitor instead of using a HD TV?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. DiabloFan

DiabloFan Thread Starter

Thank for your quick reply!
    Its a Dell Precision T3400 WorkStation and the Service Tag is J0CVCH1 ( zero, not the letter O). Its running Win 10 Pro X64.
    I did download the appropriate driver from Nvidia, saved it, and custom install with clean install option. Also uninstalled drivers completely and let windows install the drivers. Same issue.
    I haven't tried a monitor since i don't have easy access to one, but i can test this in about an hour.

4. DiabloFan

DiabloFan Thread Starter

Just tested it on an HD computer monitor (Samsung) and no issues at all! Turned screen off an on multiple times, no problems. Put it in sleep mode, woke it up, no problems.

So what do you guys think? As soon as i plugged hdmi back into 50" TV, the screen appears stretched like the picture above. Have to restart to get it back to normal

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    THIS is your Dell Precision T3400 WorkStation.
    It originally came with Windows XP Professional SP2 and with an upgrade option to Windows Vista Business SP1.
    It appears to have its original processor and 4 GB of DDR2 RAM, but it appears its original power supply and graphic card were upgraded.
    It appears it was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro on or prior to March 2018.
    As I guessed it would, thanks for confirming it's working fine with a standard computer monitor.
    I've never used a HD TV with a HDMI connection for a computer monitor, so someone else here who has will need to advise you.

-------------------------------------------------------------

6. DiabloFan

DiabloFan Thread Starter

Ok, appreciate the replies!
    It DID originally come with XP Pro. It has ALL the original parts except the graphics card is now a Asus GTX 560 Ti DirectCUII Top OC and the power supply is Corsair CX650 (less than 2 weeks old). I installed fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro IN March 2018 (v.1709).
    I didn't have this issue with the Quadro FX 570 that was originally in it. So i BELIEVE this to be a graphics issue/setting, not a TV issue.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard2.jpg

The GeForce GTX 560 Ti is a very huge improvement over the FX 570, so you made a good move there.

I tend to agree with you about it being an issue with the display settings and not with the TV.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

8. DiabloFan

DiabloFan Thread Starter

Yea, im really enjoying playing my games at max settings with no issues or lag now thanks to the GTX560 Ti. Difference is night and day :) Now to get my hands on some "cheap" DDR2 ram sticks. Wanting to switch from 4X1gb modules to 2X4gb modules, but they are pricey!!

Apparently, i was wrong! It WAS a TV settings issue ive never seen before.
    Just for fun, i decided to check what settings my TV actually has. It has an OVERSCAN settings for when PC is connected. I turned it to OFF and problem solved! Can turn screen on/off and use sleep mode without an issue.
    A big problem i had also was that I didnt know what over scan and under scan was. Googled it, learned OVERSCAN is what applied to me, and applied the knowledge in my TV settings lol. Hope posting my solution can help someone in the future.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I would replace those 4 - 1 GB modules with 4 - 2 GB modules instead of with 2 - 4 GB modules.
    Your Dell will still have 8 GB of DDR2 RAM, but 2 GB modules are a lot cheaper than 4 GB modules.
    I'm glad to hear you resolved the TV issue. (y)

--------------------------------------------------------------

10. lynx1021

lynx1021

My Toshiba TV has a special setting for using PC'S, called PC monitor.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1208423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice