1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen/resolution problems with Compaq laptop.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dantesgirl, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dantesgirl

Dantesgirl Thread Starter

Hello there.
    Over the past week, I have had two problems with my Compaq laptop, both screen (or resolution) related.

A few days ago, I was innocently browsing online when the resolution on my laptop became HUGE, way bigger than safe mode resolution. I have an irrational fear of large resolutions (or in this case, small), so I just shut my laptop off using the power button.

A few minutes ago, I was watching something full-screen when the screen suddenly became very light brown and unresponsive. Just like above, I shut it off with the power button.

Can someone please advise me on this? I don't have the money for a new laptop so I'd like to get this problem fixed asap.

Some basic info:
    My laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ50-110M laptop. It runs on Windows Vista, has a 4 GHz processor and has 2GB of RAM. The graphics card is a bog-standard Nvidia graphics card usually found in laptops.

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

2. Dantesgirl

Dantesgirl Thread Starter

3. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    Your computer's display consists of two pieces of hardware: a video card (also known as a graphics card or display adapter), which is installed inside your computer, and the video monitor, where you see all the text and graphics your programs display. Windows uses drivers to work with these hardware devices. The majority of display problems are caused by incorrect, corrupted, or missing video drivers. Hardware failure or incorrect installation make up another set of problems, and external factors can also cause video problems.

If you have just installed Windows, or have changed your video card and are experiencing problems, the most likely cause is a missing or incorrect video driver. Most video cards will come with a disk that contains drivers and other software. Before you install it, check the information that came with the video card to be sure it supports your current version of Windows. If not, go to the manufacturer's website and download the most current driver for your version of Windows. For more information on drivers, see What is a driver?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-monitor-and-video-card-problems

4. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice