1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen resolution reverts to 640 X 480 when it should 1920 X

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by gmtptt, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmtptt

gmtptt Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 12239 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 931641 MB, Free - 832815 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0KWVT8
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled
    I purchased this computer in January of 2014 with Windows 7 OS. About a year or so later I upgraded to the current Windows 10. It performed great with the Windows 7 but after getting Windows 10 it occasionally freezes up and the screen resolution reverts to 640 X 480. When I go to the display options to fix the problem the one and only option is the 640 X 480. It should be 1920 X 1080. When I manually change it back it will not work. Usually, after about one to three days it goes back to its normal setup and when I go to the display options the full broad range of options are available.
    BTW it says in my computer info above that my Windows Defender is disabled but when I checked it everything was OK and up to date. Please help. This is very aggravating.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    THIS is the most current Windows 10 64-bit driver(10.18.13.6822) for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 graphics device.

Download and save it, then close all open windows first, then install it.

Select the custom install option so you can do a clean install of the graphics driver.
    Note: Uncheck the extras you don't need or want.

See if that helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The TSGSIU app doesn't work accurately in Windows 10, so don't worry about it showing Windows Defender as being disabled.

Are you using another third-party antivirus program instead of the built-in Windows Defender?

3. gmtptt

gmtptt Thread Starter

I upgraded the driver but my problem still persists.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You may be doing something wrong.

All of my desktops have Intel or NVIDIA graphics and are all set to 1920 X 1080 and don't have any problem retaining that setting in Windows 7 or Windows 10.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. gmtptt

gmtptt Thread Starter

After getting all the updates I could find from Microsoft and Dell I was able to fix my problem by creating a custom resolution of 1920 X 1080. Instead of showing a black screen with a very thin sliver of light this time it worked. However, the broad range of options that are offered in the standard menu are not there and I will have to do a custom resolution if I ever change it to something else. For the time being that will not be a problem as I never have adjusted it to another setting anyway.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear you got it resolved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1172071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice