1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen Resolution Set Too Low After SP2 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wmkz, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wmkz

wmkz Thread Starter

I just upgraded my Dell 4300 XP Home Edition to SP2. When it rebooted, the welcome screen was in blue and white instead of its usual color rich format and the background resolution was really poor quality.

A window popped up and informed me that my settings were set too low and asked whether I wanted Windows to auto correct the problem. I clicked "yes", but nothing was resolved.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. wmkz

wmkz Thread Starter

I suppose that I should add that I cannot adjust these settings manually because they are stuck in this lowest setting and won't move.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Upgrading from XP(original) or XP SP1 to XP SP2 shouldn't have affected the display adapter, but it apparently did for some reason.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - Hardware(tab) - Device Manager(button), then click the + in Display Adapters. What is listed for the type of display adapter?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the Dell site for your computer:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4300/

According to the specifications list, your computer has an Intel 845 chipset. If that's the case, the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver 14.10.3 is the most current one for that computer.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...XP+Home+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. wmkz

wmkz Thread Starter

It says that I have the NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corp) adapter

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go here and select:

Product Type: Legacy

Product Series: GeForce2 MX Series

Product: GeForce2 MX/MX400

Operating System: Windows XP

Language: English (US)

then click "Search".

Nvidia ForceWare 93.71 appears to be the most current driver for your Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX400 display adapter.

Read the information on this web page before you download and install the driver.

Good luck! (y)

6. wmkz

wmkz Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't correct my problem. The updated driver installed just fine, but it didn't make any difference in the resolution.

I installed SP2 on this comoputer once prior to this and ran into the same problem. I finally got fed up and uninstalled SP2 and my resolution problems went away.

Very strange and extremely frustrating, I must say. Any other suggestions that might help??

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If the Nvidia driver update installed successfully, you likely need to go into the display settings and change the resolution and whatever other setting you deem necessary.

Go back into the Device Manager and into the Display Adapter sub-menu and confirm the driver version number. The last 4 numbers should be 9371.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!