1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen Resolution

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by SamN, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SamN

SamN Thread Starter

I know I have another thread and I apologise if I'm not allowed to start another...But I really need to fix my screen resolution! It's getting quite troublesome as I have a major art assignment to do and being stuck in 16 colours does not help much. ;)

Anyway, would anyone know why this has happened? I can't seem to get out of 16 colours at 640x480. Control Panel>Display doesn't even let me go higher than 256 colours, yet no matter how much I try, I can't even get to that. Also, the screen resolution won't change. I can select the option to do so but after I am forced to restart, nothing's changed! It's like I'm stuck in safe mode's display settings. I have no idea what to do and I've tried everything I can think of...

2. SamN

SamN Thread Starter

I tried following the Msconfig steps here:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=213031

But once I got to the System.ini part there was only one checkbox available, and it was labelled with gibberish! Can somebody please help? I'm sorry if I sound demanding but I just can't seem to fix all these problems with my computer. I think I shall go insane. Or just chuck the computer and go for something new and shiny with XP installed. :(

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    SamN:

Your computer is running in its Windows-based VGA mode and will continue to display a 640 X 480 resolution and 16-color until you download and install the drivers for the display adapter.

Either the display drivers have become corrupted or you did something to your computer that caused this to happen.

4. SamN

SamN Thread Starter

the last thing I did before all of this mess happened was that I ran NAV LiveUpdate. After I was prompted to restart (and did) ME loaded looking like this! I'll find new drivers now...

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Another example of a supposed problem with Norton. :mad: (n)

6. SamN

SamN Thread Starter

Couldn't find the correct drivers...Not sure which ones I need.

But yes, I tried to convince my parents that NAV was the thing that started this mess, however, they still believe I downloaded something bad. :( Why would I want to kill the computer?

7. 1069

Sam,

go here an download Belarc (free) : http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

If you run it it will give you a diagnostic profile of your system - you will be able to discover which display driver you need.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice