Screen saver and resolution issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paulfincannon

Hello, here are my specs:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20120420085551.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400S CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (30 GB Free); E: 1862 GB (1175 GB Free); F: 298 GB (5 GB Free); G: 931 GB (0 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO, s/n INVALID
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 12b, s/n MJDTWDX
Antivirus: FireEye Endpoint Security, Enabled and Updated
Also, I am using a Dell 2E2219H monitor

I just received a Lenovo computer and it is doing a couple of weird things. I noticed it first because many of the photos on my screen saver that were taken vertically just show horizontally, they are sideways. Then, every now and then I get a notification that says "Optimal Resolution Notification" This is not the optimal screen resolution for the primary display device. The optimal resolution is 1920x1800. Click this notification for more information." I click on it and it shows that my resolution is indeed 1920x1080. In addition, if I have something like an Excel sheet open, and leave for a few minutes and the screen saver comes on, after I reactivate the system from the screen saver, the Excel sheet is reduced, I have to open it up for full monitor display.

Any ideas are welcome. I can live with all of these things, but would like to fix them if possible.

Thanks! Paul

paulfincannon

It's my old office computer, I was given a new one. My department is letting me use it until/if they need it back.

Do you have any ideas for me?

Couriant

James
Did they provide you a monitor too? What monitor do you have?

paulfincannon

Hi James, yes, that was at the end of my original post. It's my monitor, a Dell 2E2219H monitor. Appreciate your offer of help!

Couriant

James
I apologise, I must have skimmed that.

To confirm, I don't see a Dell 2E2219H but there is an E2219H, P2219H, and a SE2219H.

What cable are you using between the computer and monitor?

paulfincannon

HI No apologies needed, you are trying to help! You are correct, it is an SE2219H. It is a standard HD15 cable, I believe that is what it is called. It's the same cable I used with my old desktop, which was also a Lenovo ThinkCentre.

managed

Allan
What is listed under 'Display adapters' in Device Manager ?

managed

Allan
There are quite a few others who have been here longer than me (gluttons for punishment or what ? ;) )

In Device Manager right click on the LogMeIn... driver then on the popup menu click on Disable, restart the computer and see if that helped. You can enable the LogMeIn driver again afterwards if you really need it.

Couriant

James
HI No apologies needed, you are trying to help! You are correct, it is an SE2219H. It is a standard HD15 cable, I believe that is what it is called. It's the same cable I used with my old desktop, which was also a Lenovo ThinkCentre.
1606273980946.png

I assume this is the cord you are referring to and not HDMI?

So for reference to others, you have an M91p Desktop (ThinkCentre) - Type 0266 and was made in 2011.

Your computer has 2 video ports: A VGA port and a DisplayPort: (no. 3 and no. 4)

1606274353101.png

VGA can only handle 800x600. The HD15 can handle a little more but in this case, you are going way too high for what it can do in my opinion.

You should get this cable for short term fix, but you may need to add a PCI-e HDMI card to get the higher resolutions and use a HDMI cable, providing you don't have the slot already used (where no. 9 is)

Note: the cable is uni-directional.. it may not work due to the conversation from DP to HDMI (DP is less video quality than HDMI)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online