1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

screen saver does not close

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lamstaldy, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lamstaldy

lamstaldy Thread Starter

I have a Dell computer running windows 98. I have an occasional problem with the screen saver. When I move the mouse to close the screen saver I'm left with a box on the task bar that says SCREEN SAVER. If I left click on the box it goes away. If I don't click on the box then I continue to get more boxes every time I close the screen saver. Once I get enough of these boxes on the task bar the computer hangs up. I originally had the scrolling marquee screen saver, but have now changed to blank screen and I still get the same thing.

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

That is caused by a Windows Update installed.

Here's something I found a while back:
    Mystery blank buttons from http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/taskbar.htm#TASKBAR5
    This information was posted Jim Inacker in a News Group.

Ghost Button Resolution for Win98SE

If you are using Windows 98 SE and installed either the May 22, 2000 Critical Update
    or the Windows 98 Second Edition Mapped Drives Shutdown Update or the
    Windows 98 SE 1394 Storage Supplement you may experience ghost buttons on the Taskbar.

The ghost buttons appear to be the result of interactions between existing applications and
    newer versions of user.exe and user32.dll installed by those updates.

If your system DOES NOT REQUIRE those updates, you can uninstall them by searching your hard
    drive for the associated uninstall inf file. Right click on the uninstall inf file select
    install and then reboot at the prompt.

May 22, 2000 Critical Update 260067un.inf
    Windows 98 Second Edition Mapped Drives Shutdown Update 260067un.inf
    Windows 98 Second Edition 1394 Storage Supplement 242975un.inf

If all goes well you should end up with user.exe and user32.dll version 4.10.2222.

This resolution and the file version numbers listed apply to Windows 98 SE.
    Any added functionality provided by the newer versions of user.exe and user32.dll will be lost.

3. lamstaldy

lamstaldy Thread Starter

Thanks Mosaic1. I found and installed 260067un.inf and that changed user.exe and user32.dll from ver. 4.10.2227 to ver. 4.10.2222. I could not find 242975un.inf. I went to control panel\display\screen saver and hit preview a few times and did not get the ghost button on the task bar. I'll let it run for a day and see what happens. Also, do you have any tips for finding things in microsoft's web site? I was there yesterday before I posted here and I could not find anything useful. One more thing, who changes the post subject to resolved when a problem has been solved. Is that up to me or is there a moderator that does stuff like that?

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

lamstaldy,

You're welcome. You must have had only one of the updates installed.
    I go to google.com and use it as my search engine. Often, it will list the relevant Microsoft KB articles as search results. And if you want more results, after the regular search, click on Groups at the top for newgroups posts on the subject you are researching.

I still go to the KB itself, but their search function doesn't seem to be as effective as Google's.

Mo

5. lamstaldy

lamstaldy Thread Starter

Thanks again Mosaic1. Removing the update did the trick. I will try Google next time I need to search for something, instead of fighting through microsoft's web site. Thanks for the tip.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice