1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

screen saver no come on auto Win Xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by grepus, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grepus

grepus Thread Starter

None of my screen savers will come on automatically!! They will all select and preview fine but when the preset time (1 min to 5)
    runs out the desktop stays on and the screensaver never come on!!! Nothing seems to be running to cause this! HELP! The standby mode works ok so I have to select it to keep from "burning the crt.

2. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, When you expect your SS to come on are you sure that nothing is moving the mouse etc. to prevent the switching on.

Do you have a definite SS selected and pressed the apply button.

It is a little unusual problem. I wanted to ask you why do you have such short time limits or is that because you were just testing the SS. It is possible to leave your monitor on for much longer period without any fear of burning the screen. I would find such times a nuisance as the SS would be switching on and off all the time. Peace Mal

3. grepus

grepus Thread Starter

Nothing is moving .I can leave the room for an hour and ss will not come on. Short times are for testing.

4. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, If you are worried about your monitor you can go to control panel/power options and set your monitor to switch off after a certain period of time. It will just go bland and you will still not have a screen saver.

I looked through help and could not find anything about your problem.

Did it work all right? Did you install or uninstall anything and it stopped?. Have you any tweaking programs?

It is early yet and some-one else might have an answer.

Peace mal

5. grepus

grepus Thread Starter

Problem Solved! Thanks mal. When you mentioned software changes Etc. I began to think back and recalled that I had installed software for a new joystick (a SAITEK cyborg) about the 2nd of Jan. I was able to use the "System Restore" feature of Win xp and went back to that date. Sure enough screen saver was back and all is well. Love that system restore!This is first time I ever used it. Needless to say the joystick goes back to the store.

6. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, I am glad that last post helped. I just could not think of anything else to help you.

I like restore but also use Goback that you can get off a Norton Syseen works Pro disk. One compliments the other. Sometimes restore has let me down and Goback was successful and sometimes the other way around.

Go back loses its memory if there is too much disk activity such as defragging,but I still like it. Peace Mal

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112229

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice