Screen Saver Viruses Computer won't Go On

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

onely

Hello,

I just got a call from my step daughter. She received an e-mail with the attachment friendship funny screen saver, her antivirus said it was a virus but did not stop it, now she cannot get her computer up so I can try to help her. Is there anything I can do to help her..she is far away and does not have a boot disk.

Below are a few links to removal tools, readme's and instructions for disabling the system restore feature. Though I have never used any of these tools, out of all that I could find on the subject these appear to offer the most information plus removal tools from reputable companies. Each removal tool is designed for removal of the specific worm only!

A look at the startup would be great if it were possible to determine which variation of yaha was installed in the computer, there is a link to a program called startuplist,,download and run it,,then paste the generated text file back here in a post.

Startup list Program

Yaha B

Yaha C

Yaha E

Yaha F

Yaha J

Yaha K

Yaha E, F And K

If you are running Windows ME or XP do not forget to look at the special instructions for disabling system restore.

ME Click Here

XP Click Here

This will get you back to the top,,its all I could find. Good luck, and post back to let us know the result or if you need more help.

onely

Thank you very much Bandit. My daughter is going to call me shortly, there is 3 hours difference I will try to get her in safe mode again to see if we can get through this..I have a feeling she is looking at paying someone because it will be very difficult from here but I will give it a good try.
I'll let you know how we made out. Happy New Year to you.

I hope She gets it, let us know. If she happens to make it online tell her to post to this thread if she needs more help or you can ,,either way we will be awaiting your reply.

Happy New Year to you and your family also. :)

onely

Well its not looking good. When we go into safe mode it says a problem has been detected and windows will be shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

It will start to go into xp but then the blue screen.

I tried a boot disk but it won't go to c:\, its says invaled directory

she does not know where her Cd for the operating system is.

Are we at reformat and load another system.

I think I remember that she has an NTFS table, is that going to be a problem for format

Its so hard to help her when she is 3000 miles away, any advice will be greatful

Gees anything but XP,, I'm not an Xpert...hang on let me see if I can find someone who is more qualified,,give me a few.

onely.....
Have her go back to the startup menu (F8 key on boot) and try using "last known good configuration". See if this will get her back into windows in normal mode. Then you can continue on with cleaning things up.

Debe

Thanks Debe,,, I was really stuck,,only thing I know about xp right now is the recovery console and I only did that once. :)

onely

Hi Debe,
We tried that . It starts to go into XP but then the blue screen it won't do anything else.

It would probably be a good idea to "fdisk" the system one way or another if another operating system is going to be installed. But it might not be necessary with Win2k as that also can use ntfs.

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/fdisk-format.html

I don't know what else to tell you for this. There is a set of 6 "setup" disks that can be downloaded from MS which will install a "recovery" console from which certain things can be done, but I suspect that will be more of an exercise in frustration, and evidently she has no other system on which they can be downloaded. It might help to remove any external hardware from the system and try Safe Mode again,if there is anything that can be removed.

The problem with the Boot disk is that if the Hard Drive is formatted as NTFS a DOS Bootdisk will not work. It's the wrong file system and so will not recognize the drive as valid.

onely

Thank you all for your help.

The NTFS is probably why her boot disk did not show a valid drive.

So how do I get her to fdisk from the floppy..Is there some where I can tell her to make a bootable disk so she can delete the drive. so I can talk her through a fresh install of win 98 or me

If she has any working computer with Internet access, a Win98 bootdisk setup program can be downloaded. It would be best, but not essential to use one for the operating system to be installed. But Fdisk should run from any. They are created by downloading the setup program and then running it with a clean, formatted floppy in the drive. Fdisk can be run without CD-ROM support, but to run setup (for the new OS) from another CD, the option on the boot to accept CD-Rom support must be taken.

Most, but not all of these boot disks, create a "ram drive", that is what you want, so the hard drive is not accessed to load the bootdisk http://bootdisk.com/original.htm

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downright_pages/downrights_bootdisks.htm

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts