1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen saver

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by karbo, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karbo

karbo Banned Thread Starter

I recently bought a new computer with a 512 MB graphic card. My old computer had a 128 MB card but at the beginning, I only had 8 MB. I was using a screen saver with fish in an aquarium. With only my 8 MB card, the animation was really impressive. I tried my screen saver yesterday with my new 512 MB card and the picture was terrible. There were plenty of horizontal lines on the screen. What could explain this? Could it be that the program wasn't intented for this type of card? In those days, big cards like mine didn't exist. There might be a new update to this screen saver.

Thanks

2. kniht

kniht

This may or may not help:

Control Panel>>Display.

In Display select the "Settings" tab.

Click on the "Advanced" button.

Select the "Monitor" tab.

Under "Monitor Settings" try adjusting the refresh rate.

3. karbo

I tried that but not for long, since it reduces the screen's width. Then I have to completely reajust my monitor settings. By default, the value has always been at 60 Hz. Should it be increased?

4. kniht

kniht

Have you tried setting it at 75 or 85 Hertz? Can always reduce back to 60.

5. karbo

I tried the refresh rate at 75 and the problem persists. I don't think it has anything to do with it.

6. kniht

kniht

Do the lines show up in Safe Mode? Is only the Screen Saver affected?

Another thing you might try - remote chance, but worth a shot - would be to physically unseat the graphics card, clean its contacts and the contacts in the board's slot, then remount it.

7. karbo

It's a brand new graphics card installed on my new computer. I haven't tried in Safe Mode yet.

8. kniht

kniht

If this only happens with the Screen Saver, might try downloading another aquarium saver.

http://www.clubaquatica.com/

They have a freeware version.

9. karbo

I thank you for your help and the link, but I've downloaded one of those screensavers in the past. They're never completely free... They also send you a great deal of spyware with the download. You won't find a lot of free "malware free" screen savers on the net I'm afraid. There's always a catch.

10. kniht

kniht

That's what I was afraid of. Don't use a screensaver myself, but have heard of problems with downloaded savers. If the horizontal lines only happen when the screensaver is enabled, could be the saver itself.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the screensaver?

11. karbo

Yes, I did.

Tomorrow, I'll install a game to see if all 3D animations do the same thing on my computer. We'll know for sure if it's the graphics card or the screen saver.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!