1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Screen Savers: Necessary or Just Fun?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by knowslittle, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. knowslittle

knowslittle Thread Starter

Did a search and didn't find this particular topic: Are screen savers necessary anymore, or are they just kinda fun to have? Are there any downsides to running screen savers? If you have wallpaper but no screen saver, does the wallpaper just sit there all the time? Any downsides to having wallpaper? Thanks.
    Should have noted: I have a 1998 Gateway computer and monitor using Win98 1st Edition with 5G HD and 192MB of Ram.

2. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

On newer monitors screen savers are not needed to prevent "the burn" and running a screensaver with alot of grapgics can " max out " your video card .

Wallpaper should have little or no effect on a system unless it is animated.

3. bilnrobn

bilnrobn

First Name:
    Bill
    If you leave your computer idle for longish periods and want to reduce power costs go to Power Options in your Contol Panel. I think 700mb80min is right though; modern monitors don't have the problem that earlier ones had.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I just set the monitor to go into power saving mode after 20-30 minutes, does all the screen saving necessary. :)

5. Franghurst

Franghurst

Yeah, they may not be technically needed but I sure think they're geat. I change them with the seasons, change them with my moods - there's not much in life that you can change so easily and suffer no bad consequences.

FYI - I think one of the best sites for free wallpaper, and you can design your own screensavers, is webshots.com. (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!